Isn't it time we changed the national anthem?

What should we change the national anthem to?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should we change the national anthem to?

• Jerusalem
    • Land Of Hope And Glory
    • Rule Britannia
    • "Oh Julie" by Shakin' Stevens
    • God Save The Queen (Technotrance Remix 2008)
    • Something Else (that's something else as in a different song, not the Eddie Cochran classic)

Most British people agree that "God Save The Queen" is a terrible national anthem; it's a dreary tune and celebrates a wizened imperialist old crone rather than the nation. If I were God, I'd be so annoyed I'd zap the Queen with a thunderbolt every time I heard it.

There are many stirring pieces of music that would be far more suitable, but which would you choose?

I heard a rumour that the theme tune to The Archers was a possibility for when Ol' Charlie takes over...

Might have been my dad taking the piddle though :hihi:

With you on that, the Archers theme for the new anthem, words to go

Dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum de dum dum :hihi::hihi:

I've heard Land of Hope and Glory mooted as an alternative for the English national anthem (the Celts have their own, why don't we?) but I'm sure there are better alternatives.

We could vote on it at every General Election - it would increase the number of voters and we wouldn't get bored of the anthem.

I'd vote for Everyday is Like Sunday for the first one.

I agree it is. Wasn't there some discussion of changing it to Jerusalem?

We'll have to change it anyway, whenever the Queen croaks.

Yeah big change..the word King replaces Queen and the word Her Changes to Him:huh:

Archived