Isn't it time we changed the national anthem?

What should we change the national anthem to?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should we change the national anthem to?

• Jerusalem
    • Land Of Hope And Glory
    • Rule Britannia
    • "Oh Julie" by Shakin' Stevens
    • God Save The Queen (Technotrance Remix 2008)
    • Something Else (that's something else as in a different song, not the Eddie Cochran classic)

Funnily enough I thought of the anthem on Sunday.

Australian Cadel Evans won the Tour de France, and received the flowers and trophy as he stood on the podium on the Champs Elysee in Paris.

They then played the Australian anthem, sung live by a lady.

If Wiggins had won, I'd probably squirmed with embarrasment when they played ours. The words are just so awful and gushing.

Most British people agree that "God Save The Queen" is a terrible national anthem; it's a dreary tune and celebrates a wizened imperialist old crone rather than the nation. If I were God, I'd be so annoyed I'd zap the Queen with a thunderbolt every time I heard it.

There are many stirring pieces of music that would be far more suitable, but which would you choose?

Not a great lover of the royals but I do not agree that our present queen is a imperialist old crone. Your comment that you would strike her down with a thunder bolt smacks of bloody revolution. Are you by any chance a propper lefty. We pulled out of the nations in the empire and left them to govern themselves. Auz, Canada have done good but the rest have returned back to type yet still rely on our help.They are innept, nuff said, be carful what you wish for.

Archived