Talbot inn. Duke Street

Tim42

Does any one have any recollections about The Talbot Inn on Talbot road / Duke Street. My grand parents used to run this place then my mother & father took it over in the mid 60s. It had a compulery purchase issued on it as the council wanted to widen the road. The road widening never took place, so another lovely building is lost from Sheffield. It was a stone fronted bow shaped building with a court yard. I think nowdays could have been grade 2 listed. Does any one know where I can get a picture of The Talbot. My parents name is Jack & Audrey Black.

Originally posted by Tim42

Does any one have any recollections about The Talbot Inn on Talbot road / Duke Street. My grand parents used to run this place then my mother & father took it over in the mid 60s. It had a compulery purchase issued on it as the council wanted to widen the road. The road widening never took place, so another lovely building is lost from Sheffield. It was a stone fronted bow shaped building with a court yard. I think nowdays could have been grade 2 listed. Does any one know where I can get a picture of The Talbot. My parents name is Jack & Audrey Black.

I heard a story in the Sixties about an electrician who was working in the loft of Talbot and he saw a tin box resting on a roof beam... he opened this box and discovered it was full of victorian "gold soverins"..Has anybody else heard this story ???

• 2 months later...

Used to live on Duke Street in the 60's.

Talbot Inn did have a bow front, covered in brown ceramic tiles.

Lower down that same block there was the Oddfellows Inn.

Always thought it a bit funny cos over the road there was / still is the Salvation Army.

Both pubs gone but this survived!

• 2 years later...

I used to live on talbot place. My mum was a friend of your grandparents, agnes and billy. It was a lovely building and such a shame to pull it down. i dont know where you will be able to get a photo tough. I have been looking for old photos of this area for ages but as yet no luck. If I find any I will let you know.

If you look at "Picture Sheffield .com" there is a picture of Talbot Road with the pub on the corner. I dare say there are also photos of the pub under the heading of "public houses".

There's possibly a picture in the book "A Pub on Every Corner" by Douglas Lamb, I don't have a copy but, I'm sure if you ask on here or any of the Sheffield Family History sites someone will come up with a picture.

Regards,

Duffem

• 2 months later...

Hi Phil - again!

My dad & his bros spent many a happy hour in the "Oddies". Dad used to throw darts for their "B" team, and many "A" team members were pigeon-fanciers, with lofts up on Skye Edge. With regards to the Salvation Army - the officers lived nextdoor to me up City Rd.,(nr. Manfredis), & my Mum worked in the umbrella factory years ago, at the end of Grafton St. The Talbot Inn was a favourite haunt for my best mate's dad. I can see all the little shops around there in my mind's eye, and would give anything for a glimpse back in time as it was - Thorpe's hairdressers & all!