What do you drink when you can't get a decent bitter?

I'm an old Bitter man, Wards (sadly missed) a decent Tetleys and the rest but these days I am stuck with your Budweisers and the like .... yuck! for the most part I have switched to Red wine and when I can afford it I get Boddingtons in cans ($8 for a four pack)

How's everyone else coping with the loss?

StJohn

Hmm, was bad enough on holiday in the States. We were lucky enough to fing some English bars selling Old Speckled Hen. Funny how Boddingtons comes to taste really good when your other choices are Bud etc. What about Guinness? That's pretty popular in the USA.

Most lagers or guinness in the beer department. I'll drink shots usually either sambucca or cherry bakewells, not really big on cocktails or wine - but I've got a couple of big bottle of baileys and passoa waiting for me at home :D

Newky browns readily available in the states isn't it?

I've seen Newcastle Brown on draught in Spain, although the bar owner I spoke to said he was having it taken out as nobody drank it. Apparently that was first sold in the States.

Dry red wine,Bavarian beer and when in the UK Strongbow.

I appreciate it is all personal taste but I think that bitter is vile and warm,how the hell anyone can drink it god only knows,I used to drink Stella etc in the UK but after years of living over here the horrible UK lagers and even the brewed under license foreign ones like Stella etc are simply undrinkable.

Other than German(particularly Bavarian)beer,the Czech and Belgian stuff,also brewed to purity laws unlike ours,are very good too.

My dad used to love Wards though,mind you he has developed rather a taste for Paulaner(one of the big Munich breweries)and certainly shifts enough of it when visiting.

I'm an old Bitter man, Wards (sadly missed) a decent Tetleys and the rest but these days I am stuck with your Budweisers and the like .... yuck! for the most part I have switched to Red wine and when I can afford it I get Boddingtons in cans ($8 for a four pack)

How's everyone else coping with the loss?

StJohn

I found a few nice beers in NY and Toronto, the only one I can remember the name of was Boston something or something Boston (well, partially remember the name).

Given the choice I drink wine or bubbly these days, sometimes ale or weisbier.

Newky browns readily available in the states isn't it?

As well as Bass, Harp, Guinness, Stella Artois, Smithwicks, Fosters, Heineken, Carlsberg, Samuel Smiths Taddies, and that's just in Connecticut.

Hmm, was bad enough on holiday in the States. We were lucky enough to fing some English bars selling Old Speckled Hen. Funny how Boddingtons comes to taste really good when your other choices are Bud etc. What about Guinness? That's pretty popular in the USA.

Always a good choice when you are in unfamiliar areas.

Archived