Does anyone remember Faces Nightclub

valentine

FACES......Went for a job interview there in 1978.......as a DJ....the Manager was a slimy fat very camp bloke in a shiny velvet suit with cream bowtie and ruffly shirt, plus rediculous bri-nylon hair style......(he actually looked like a caricature of Peter Wyngarde, AKA Jason king) we took an instant dislike to each other and the interview lasted for 20 seconds, as I was "not quite what the Club had in mind ducky"....

Could that be Ron King by any chance?

I don't remember his name unfortunately.

Yes, I remember Faces, the Wine Bar part very well. I usually attended on Mondays and Thursdays there was a fabulous crowd there in the early '80s. I was quite happy to go there on my own as I was confident there would be someone I would know when I got there ...... the 'boxing crowd' for instance. Gill who used to work on the desk/cloakroom was a lovely girl. I have lots of fantasic memories of the venue......:)

No, it wasn't Sexy Rexys, that was on King Street across from the Centre Spot cafe.

Wasn't that clothes shop called 'Image' or 'Images' or something?

The original Centre Spot cafe was opposite the Black Swan on Snig Hill. I've been trying to remember the name of it for donkeys years. I wish I'd a quid for every chip butty and every tanner in the pinball !

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00752&prevUrl=

Edited by Odd-jobs

It was across the road from pippys one Charles street I had my 21st birthday party there you could hire the place mid week some of my friends got turned away on the night because they were wearing trainers we never realised there would be a dress code for a private party it was still a good place as you could either chill out in the wine bar upstairs or go mad in the disco downstairs I never remember much trouble I remember one of the doormen think his name was Trevor he had loads of home made tattoos on his face and hands looked a real hard case but was a really nice guy it seemed to die a death once the limit opened

No, it wasn't Sexy Rexys, that was on King Street across from the Centre Spot cafe.

Wasn't that clothes shop called 'Image' or 'Images' or something?

I think Sexy Rexy (Rex Caplan) actually became Image as it became more sophisticated. I am sure it was also a jean shop at some point. I think they(Capland Properties may still still own the building.

There also used to be a bar downstairs in the Faces building called underground with the tube station sign outside

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 13:16 ----------

The original Centre Spot cafe was opposite the Black Swan on Snig Hill. I've been trying to remember the name of it for donkeys years. I wish I'd a quid for every chip butty and every tanner in the pinball !

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00752&prevUrl=

Used to remember going in there from school to play on the Table Football machine