Martin Dawes' reviews in The Star

jemson

I look forward to Martin Dawes reviews of the general public every week .. he makes me laugh .. doesnt he get all his meals paid for him? SO hes bound not to give a bad review :-)

He books under an assumed name and pays for the meal himself, I believe he claims it back from the newspaper. I have heard him express disappointment if he is recognised as he feels that he mayl be treated differently and won't be able to give a balanced review. He does take it very seriously.

Good example here -

We had sardines at the Wig and Pen for 'tapas' and were served one solitary sardine on a plate.

My husband is from Spain (Andalucia - ACTUAL area of tapas) and also a qualified chef so knows a thing or two about 'tapas' and authenticity of them. He told me there is no way you would be served with one sardine on a plate in Spain as a tapa and it was way overpriced.

We gave our polite and constructive feedback to the staff there but at the end of the day we believe people in the UK are very easily impressed by mediteranean food and someone else would probably go along and be served with that same solitary sardine on a plate and then rave about it.

Reviews are definitely a personal thing but at the end of the day it comes down to the individual and the only 'expert' in my opinion is oneself when it comes to deciding what is a good or bad meal/price/venue etc. Sorry Martin Dawes, but we don't need you to do this for us.

Went to The Wig and Pen recently and was really impressed by the decor/ ambience and twiddlysticks, but the portions were amazingly stingy and overpriced. My starter was artistically presented, but ridiculously minute for the money I was paying...And this is coming from a bird with a pretty small appetite! Otherwise, a lovely pub.

Archived