Don Road, Attercliffe, were there houses there in the 60s?

my mate at work is trying to trace some relatives from the 60s he has been told they lived on don road attercliffe it is all industrial now .

does anyone know if there was ever any houses on it in the 60s

cheers chaz

If you log on to http://www.pcturesheffield.com Then do a search for Don Rd.

Open page 22. Picture s22698, is a photo of Don Rd,taken in the

1920s. There were certainly houses then.

The 1925 directory confirms that there were 15 private householders at that time, occupying Nos. 27 to 55 Don Road (surnames Flintoff, Armstrong, Grossett, Turton, Wigley, Arnold, Selvey, Hacon, Nelson, Pywell, Sutherland, Willerton, Revitt, Tracey and Horsley). Also in 1925, 14 small shops occupied numbers between 85 and 177 & between 74 and 288. All had gone by 1972 to judge from Kelly's Directory - the properties were probably demolished in the 1960s along with many more in the area.

my mate at work is trying to trace some relatives from the 60s he has been told they lived on don road attercliffe it is all industrial now .

does anyone know if there was ever any houses on it in the 60s

cheers chaz

yes there was i remember them well,i didnt live there myself but some of my dads relatives did in the yard next to the forge pub.his name was spike hepplestone,and was related to the johnsons and ashworths of alfred rd.

I used to play on Don Road as a kid, it ran parallel to Alfred Road which in turn ran parallel to Brightside Lane. The years would be about 1958 to 1965. Mates were Keith Smith, Mick Greenwood, Kennie Grayson, Roy and Trevor Holland Dougie Davidson,, there was a girl called Denise Hursey, her mother was german and she used to get a wash in the kitchen sink whilst we "piked" at her over thier brick wall.

We all went to Hartleybrook school and caught the 17 bus from Brightside Lane to Sheffield Lane Top.

The houses on Don Road were small and grimy on the outside, but many were absolute palaces inside.

I used to play on Don Road as a kid, it ran parallel to Alfred Road which in turn ran parallel to Brightside Lane. The years would be about 1958 to 1965. Mates were Keith Smith, Mick Greenwood, Kennie Grayson, Roy and Trevor Holland Dougie Davidson,, there was a girl called Denise Hursey, her mother was german and she used to get a wash in the kitchen sink whilst we "piked" at her over thier brick wall.

We all went to Hartleybrook school and caught the 17 bus from Brightside Lane to Sheffield Lane Top.

The houses on Don Road were small and grimy on the outside, but many were absolute palaces inside.

we lived on newhall rd until 1967 remembered houses on don rd, my husband worked on don rd he also went to hartleybrook left in 1961 he remembers all the above people but sadly mick passed away last year dougie passed away april this year

I lived on Brightside Lane from 1949 to 1959. I went to Newhall Rd. school and went on to Hartley Brook. My pals at Newhall School were David Denison;Patrick Bean; Alan Taylor; Andrew Shaw (deceased); Ian Shaw; Malcolm Foster;Denis Topham;Alan Mills; John Scarborough;Roy Bryant. Girls that went to Newhall at that time were Kathleen Hickey(her mother was German); Christine Keeley; Jane McCormick;Susan Atkinson;Shirley Eaton.

• 5 years later...

Hi, my family used to live on Don Road (no, 20 i think) we left 1969) to Launce road Parson cross, my mum was called Gloria Hydes, my stepdad was called Jimmy Katics who was hungarian there was 8 children four to my dad, Vicky who,s 60,marilyn who,s 59 Gail who,s 57 (me), Russell who,s 56 then to Jimmy, Dawn who,s 54, Tracey who,s 52, Darren who,s 50, Mandy who,s 48. most of us went to Newhall Road School, then onto Hartley brooke i do remember being at Newhall when they were shooting the film with Oliver reed in,and when Pat Phoinex from coranation street came to the bingo hall near the schooll, i can remember Lorraine Foster who was my best friend who lived near newhall road we lost touch when we moved her family was Lovely, i also remember the corner shop and chip shop at bottom of Alfred Rd, my mums friends Lydia Booth,can, t remember her roads name and Ethel Richardson whom she kept in contact with she lived across from corner shop i think!! i loved living there and was very upset when we had to move, before Don Road we lived on steadfast Street Attercliffe where i was born and my Auntie lived on Amberley st.

Archived