Historical Sheffield

HI everyone.

I'm Shane from Christchurch in the South Is of New Zealand and have just recently posted in the Forum under Crooke and Hackett.

I'm researching an old pioneer to NZ in 1899 ,Surgeon Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke

who lived at 84 Langsetts Road when born in 1861.

I am wondering if any one is writing history here on Old Sheffield or has photographs.

Through the years of two spinal surgeries and now awaiting a kidney removal this month I have been researching the names from the Dr's autograph book I found dumped in the rubbish.This contains some 800-900 autographs of his family,relations,friends and colleagues from Ireland, England,Scotland to all around the world ending up in New Zealand.Through the Crimean War to WW1and WW2,from the age of Sailing Ships to Steam and the world of Medicine.

Hopefully this will be produced in a book or books with all contributions being aknowledged.

I realise this is a mammmoth task but not an imposible one as long as records keep appearing or anything that is available.

Too many old pioneers have gone to the grave unmentioned no matter what they did in life especially when they left the UK for new lifes in the colonies.

I feel all these memories should and must be kept alive for future generations instead of ending in a grave in a cemetery some where lost in the world.

I am not an author or writer so this will be my first attempt.

Thanks for reading and appreciate in help ,writings or suggestions Shane in NZ.

Archived