Arbourthorne School

sband

No, the school at the junction of Brimmesfield and Cradock Roads was Norfolk school

Plain Talker , the school on Brimmsfield and Craddock was up until 1952-3 called Arbourthorne North County School . The Name was then changed to Norfolk . I was at that school when the name changed . The descriptions of the school that I have read in this thread sounded like the same layout of the building . Even Miss ( June) Watson taught at this school and this prompted me to ask my question . Thanks for the replies , appreciated .

Plain Talker , the school on Brimmsfield and Craddock was up until 1952-3 called Arbourthorne North County School . The Name was then changed to Norfolk . I was at that school when the name changed . The descriptions of the school that I have read in this thread sounded like the same layout of the building . Even Miss ( June) Watson taught at this school and this prompted me to ask my question . Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

The architecture and layouts of both schools would have been more-than very similar, as were most schools, built in the thirties, with their generic quadrangles etc, - I'm thinking Arbourthorne, Norfolk, Shirecliffe, southey to an extent,Wisewood, Herries, (now "Parkwood"), Beck, Hartley Brook, Pipworth, Standhouse, Woodthorpe, Abbeydale Grange Upper School, (Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School as was) High Storrs, and its "almost-twin, on Hatfield house Lane, the schools on Parson Cross:- Monteney and the school whose name I have forgotten, near the White Horse pub, ah, that's it:- Meynell! and these are just the ones in Sheffield I can think of, off the top of my head.

The schools at Wybourn, Longley (on Raisen Hall Road?) Earldom Rd (Burngreave) and Hucklow Road school are just a bit before, and are solely red-brick construction, not "two-tone" like most of the others, although they, also, have the "art Deco" touch.

At the Open Day, at my old school, High Storrs, someone was talking about a college built on Merseyside, which was literally bang-identical to HSS, right down to the clock tower!

The architecture and layouts of both schools would have been more-than very similar, as were most schools, built in the thirties, with their generic quadrangles etc, - I'm thinking Arbourthorne, Norfolk, Shirecliffe, southey to an extent,Wisewood, Herries, (now "Parkwood"), Beck, Hartley Brook, Pipworth, Standhouse, Woodthorpe, Abbeydale Grange Upper School, (Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School as was) High Storrs, and its "almost-twin, on Hatfield house Lane, the schools on Parson Cross:- Monteney and the school whose name I have forgotten, near the White Horse pub, ah, that's it:- Meynell! and these are just the ones in Sheffield I can think of, off the top of my head.

The schools at Wybourn, Longley (on Raisen Hall Road?) Earldom Rd (Burngreave) and Hucklow Road school are just a bit before, and are solely red-brick construction, not "two-tone" like most of the others, although they, also, have the "art Deco" touch.

At the Open Day, at my old school, High Storrs, someone was talking about a college built on Merseyside, which was literally bang-identical to HSS, right down to the clock tower!

Thanks for that , clears things up a bit . :thumbsup:

Archived