Club Babylon, anyone been?

Hi Stormy, we felt obliged to also sign up as it's obvious discodown hasn't actually been in! Please feel free disco to come along as we think you'll be pleasantly surprised. First of all Babylon is a bar that happens to play 90's music as there is a lot of demand for that right now as our extensive ( and expensive) research has proven. We have only just opened our doors and will be constantly changing and improving, the decor isn't 90's themed we are a bar first and foremost! We have an extensive and very reasonably priced cocktail menu and yes we offer full table service.

Please visit our facebook group for photographs and reviews. You can email us on manager@babylonsheffield.co.uk for info but we suggest you come try us for yourselves!

Then by all means tell us what is on the playlist. Everybody seems incredibly reluctant to do so.

Flares is/was a 70's theme bar but did it play any proper disco (not abba and village people)? any of the new wave of british heavy metal? any early hip hop? any dub? any philadelphia soul? no it was a steady diet of cheesy party records. Flares is an 80's theme bar, does it play any electronica, any house, early techno, heavy metal? no it does however play a stream of wham, kylie, bros, rick astley and general 80's cheesy pop.

I'm assuming that Babylon is owned by the same company therefore will almost certainly supply a steady stream of 90's pop and euro dance novelty records. If it does then say so, theres nothing wrong with that. People like it and you'll make a lot of money. Theres no shame in catering for the lowest common denominator but don't pretend its going to be something it isn't because thats just wrong

I think the name instantly lets it down to be honest. I have come across a few bars up and down the country named Babylon and all of them are the kind of places that end up being frequented by really old men, uncomfortable office parties and young local kids who realise they don't need to sit around the parks drinking 20/20, they can go to babylon.

Nylon has a **** name too (kind of like a cheap fibre), but that had some reputation as being Bar Matrix. It will be interesting to see if babylon can entice a new crowd or whether its just another place for people to get **** faced enough to ask another human being for sex.

Good luck though.

Suddenly I am very glad I asked that question, another place to avoid! Cheers DD. Mind you its a sign of how the years are ticking on by isn't it, I remember walking past Reflex (shudder) when it first opened an talking to a mate about how long it would take till we got a 90s themed bar, we had Flares for a while, then Reflex, now babylon.

Now a 90's themed bar? There was a nineties themed bar downstairs in Reflex for the last three years at least. Until it turned into a Flares.

Me and my mate ended up going here last Saturday (when i posted i think) and we enjoyed it. Its open until 3pm. It opens early as a cocktail bar then later on changes into a night vlub type of thing. The music is from the 90s so we heard quite alot of different stuff, ie. Five, Britney spears, Backstreet Boys, Gina G i think etc..

We enjoyed it and I believe she wants to go back again. I don't know if that was because she got a snog or because of the club lol :hehe:

Hoops 67...well, I couldnt have put it better meself...your observations are really very accurate, if it isnt as you describe in reality at present, It wont be long before it fits your description perfectly, I went in, just reminds me of half a dozen other spittoons around Sheffield, in general though & I hate to generalise unless its absolutely necessary, most bars of this nature go the way you describe, start off fine, only letting peeps in that look like they didnt get their outfit knitted by the council, have their own hair, some teeth and look like they can string enough words together to form a sentence when prompted at the appropriate time : PINT O BEER! Half a Lager!

Only bar in town that kept it up for quite a long time , record even, before it nosed dived into the pit of bar room doom & dysfunction was the Crystal Bar....Used to be scrummy in there at one time, mind you Vodka Rev is still ok, or is it, everytime I go in their lately I feel like half the pub is staring at me, paranoid? nah... Just tall with no one to block me view..... they were y'know , honest they were :)

Now a 90's themed bar? There was a nineties themed bar downstairs in Reflex for the last three years at least. Until it turned into a Flares.

Shows what I know then. To be fair I woiuld rather go to work than go to Flares and Reflex for a night out. Seriously. Its not my bag

Went to the new 90s place in Town, was kind of dreading it, I did think they would be playing nothing but Take That.

But I take my hat off to them, good mix of all 90s music from the Charlations, REM, Prince, Take that (was played a couple of times) and some other great stuff I'd not heard for ages, so well done to the new bar.

Plus unlike 80s bars, there were not loads of sweaty hairy middle aged bloaters all over the place, or middle aged men on the pull

Great night out (whatever the name of the place is) look forward to spending many a saturday night in there

Archived