JuJu Club, where are you now?

I remember Juju Club (and Jamie who ran it), which I went to about 10 years ago before becoming a loyal regular at Club Xes.

As far as I gather, it merged into Club Zogg, or at least many of the same people set up Club Zogg, but as I haven't been to this one for ages, I'm not very well up on what is happening these days on that particular scene.

I remember Juju Club (and Jamie who ran it), which I went to about 10 years ago before becoming a loyal regular at Club Xes.

As far as I gather, it merged into Club Zogg, or at least many of the same people set up Club Zogg, but as I haven't been to this one for ages, I'm not very well up on what is happening these days on that particular scene.

Maybe some blurred memories there... Alan Deadman ran the Juju club and also organised Headcharge with Jamie. Planet Zogg has worked with both in the past - but is a completely different set of people (its run by Dil & Greg Zogg and I do the publicity & stuff).

Anyway - back to the Juju club - you'd have to ask Alan for the full story - but I think he decided to concentrate on other things, especially as numbers were tailing off a bit at the boardwalk (the last home of Juju) - which is a shame as it was a great night out. Hopefully he'll do some more one-offs in the future.

(BTW the Planet Zogg/Na Zdrove free party was LAST friday and was great!)

• 3 weeks later...

It's a great shame the Juju club appears to be no longer happening in Sheffield. It was one of my favourite nights out because it was good value for money and whether or not you knew the band that was performing they were always guaranteed to be excellent and you was always guaranteed a fun and inspiring night out. The JuJu club helped open my mind up to lots of styles of music.

There seems to be no other organisation that's promoting roots bands in Sheffield these days so myself and some friends have formed the group Roots Up North and we plan to host bi-monthly live roots music nights in Sheffield starting with festival favourites Tarantism on the 25th October supported by Fishfish (trio spawned out of Sheffield's ever popular ska legends Bison). Tickets are £6 / £5 and can be purchased from Jack's Records.

For more info see the following links:-

rootsupnorth.org

facebook.com/group.php?gid=27950251053&ref=ts

facebook.com/event.php?eid=29162645856

Maybe some blurred memories there... Alan Deadman ran the Juju club and also organised Headcharge with Jamie. Planet Zogg has worked with both in the past - but is a completely different set of people (its run by Dil & Greg Zogg and I do the publicity & stuff).

Anyway - back to the Juju club - you'd have to ask Alan for the full story - but I think he decided to concentrate on other things, especially as numbers were tailing off a bit at the boardwalk (the last home of Juju) - which is a shame as it was a great night out. Hopefully he'll do some more one-offs in the future.

(BTW the Planet Zogg/Na Zdrove free party was LAST friday and was great!)

I remember Alan Deadman, didn't the JuJu have it's first home at Crookes Working Mens Club around '83-'85?

Was Warren (partner to Linda Smith, now sadly deceased) involved in the JuJu? (Or possibly warren ran another event at the Crookes venue?)

I too have a lot of fond memories of JuJu.

The Crookes WMC days were incredible. Originally women weren't even allowed to be members and had to be signed in by a man. Every customer was scrutinised by the Committee who occupied a desk in the porch. It was a real culture clash and had many Phoenix Nights style events. Credit the WMC, they were mostly supportive!

I can guarantee 100% that the JuJu Club will return one day, at least for a one-off reunion event. The boardwalk is a great place, particuarly for live music.

yes but crookes wmc got closed down for several months for, among other things, letting non-members in. Admittedly not just ju ju, there was another one around the same time, route 52 I think it was called and there was a fair bit of trouble.

Archived