Pebbledashed House advice

What can you do with a house thats pebbledashed? It looks awful, very cheap and tacky..

Underneath is lovely red brick, is it ever possible to go back to red brick? Or is it possible to skim the pebbledash and paint over it?

Also how much would you be looking at for something like this?

It depends.

Pebbledashing has traditionally been used by some builders to cover up rough brickwork. If you look at some of the old council estates, rendering was used everywhere to cover up the cheap brickwork as they rushed to build the houses.

I am not a builder. We were told this at school in Geography when we studied local housing tenure.

If the builder of your house knew that the design was for pebbledashing on that particular wall, you might find half bricks, or unmatched bricks of differing shades which needed using up who knows?

I think painted pebbledash looks better than all red-brick. Most of the semis and detacheds around here, Dore, Fulwood, etc, are red brick with painted pebbledash (usually white). Real stone houses look better though. Having said that in a row of all red brick terraced houses, yours must look a bit odd being the only rendered one.

I have heard that the embarrasing fake stone cladding which ruined the look of thousands of perfectly good houses in the 80s. Is a real problem to remove as it has to be sand blasted to get it, and the gobbo, which sticks it on the house off. This leaves the faces of the bricks particularly porous and liable to make the walls damp.

I don't know how relevent this is to removing pebbledashing. Maybe someone who is a builder can help here?

I've just done my house which had a similar problem. Hopefully some damp may have got in and this will just fall off, otherwise the best option may be with the good old fashioned hammer and bolster - be warned this is effort but worth it so as not to damage the brick as a more mechanical method would. The old render may leave a cement residue which could be removed with a brick acid or the whole area sand/shot blasted. You might find that the pointing falls out with the pebbledash and it would certainly look neater if it was freshly pointed.

Finally it might be an idea to seal the bricks with a silicone based sealant if the facing has got damaged with the removal. If it is a mid terraced with just a front and back i think a fair price would be about a grand for each side.

Originally posted by dudu

Finally it might be an idea to seal the bricks with a silicone based sealant if the facing has got damaged with the removal. If it is a mid terraced with just a front and back i think a fair price would be about a grand for each side.

£2k for what would probably be a days work?! Fair price?!

Originally posted by t020

£2k for what would probably be a days work?! Fair price?!

I'm not a builder either, but i think it'd take a lot more than a day to remove that stuff with a hammer and bolster. I mean, the feathers would get everywhere!!;)

Seriously, having been involved in house renovations in the past, I'd think it would take several days to do the job properly, front and back, presuming the back was done as well, scaffolding hire, sandblaster etc etc ... seems a reasonable price to me

Best thing to do is to knock some of it off yourself, see the condition of the brick underneath and then make a decision as to whether you'll leave it as brick or render it again without the pebble dashing. Until you get some of it off you won't have much of an idea what condition the bricks are in. As stated pebble dashing was used a lot to hide something although some people did/do actually like the look of it :loopy:

Archived