Why are many bars and pubs unfit for use by disabled people?

Gunner

A comment made by an area manager for Punch Pub Chain was " Catering for the disabled is not cost effective ". The fact that many pubs do not cater for the disabled is in contravention of the Disabled Human Rights. It becomes a crime not to cater for the disabled. It is unfortunate that this Pub Chain quickly get rid of their " To Let " pubs to gullible tenants. It is then the tenants responsibility to make disabled adaptations to the pub inside and out. The Pub Chain is then not responsible for any accidents or any alterations that need to be made for disabled people. The tenant finds this far too expensive and cannot get insurance cover for a disabled person because of the liklihood of an accident. I intend to investigate this further. I am hoping members will send me a list of any Public Houses they know of that does not have disabled access or facilities. Managed or Tenanted. Any Pub Tenant reading this needs to contact the Pub Chain they are contracted to and find out just where they stand. Managers need to contact the Pub Chain they work for and insist that alterations are made. I am hoping that soon it will become law that a pub chain must make the much needed alterations if there is a change in tenancy. Also I would be gratefull if members would contact their MP and or Councillor to ask them to contact me with a view to assisting. Planning Permission and licenses should never be given to Pubs that are not disabled friendly. Yet they are being given planning permission for alterations that do not include disabled facilities. Many Public Houses are in breach of laws that have recently been brought in.

Anyone wishing to assist improving facilites for disabled in Public Houses. Or to assist in forcing Pub Chains to accept responsibility please contact me using the following e-mail address. para.legal@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks, Gunner, that's a really positive post;

One example of a really friendly venue I go to a lot, which has practical problems with disabled access is DEMPSEYS Gay Bar/Club at the bottom of the Moor.

While the downstairs bar and restaurant is fully wheelchair accessible, and there is a dedicated disabled toilet, the upstairs nightclub/dancefloor/cocktail bar/pool table area is not, which is a great shame.

The main reason for this is because the block where dempseys is located is supposed to being redeveloped at some stage as part of the redevelopment of the Moor, and in order to install a disabled lift to the upper floor, dempseys would have to rip the guts out of the place to fit one in, and all the work necessary for a proper lift I reckon would cost around £100,000, which obviously would be not worth while for a building due to be torn down in a few years.

However, earlier this year, from what I gather, Dempseys renewed their lease for at least 5 years, so a major refit (Perhaps including a stairs with a stairlift?) might appear just viable. Another problem is that dempseys is Sheffield's ONLY 7day-a-week gay bar and nightclub venue, so any major work involving replacing stairs/putting in a lift would entail partial or total closure of the building for several days at least.

Hopefully after the whole of The Moor has been completed, Dempseys will locate to a brand-new premises with full disabled accessibility!

Of course, there is more to disabled accessibility than just wheelchair ramps/lifts; I have a disability called Asperger's Syndrome, and in the case of conditions such as this, the 'accessibility' issue involves staff training/awareness of Aspergers/autism, and I have found that many clubs I go to are increasingly good about this -e.g. The Plug.

Archived