What's the worst place you have been on holiday abroad

I remember staying in a youth hostel upon a lengthy school trip, somewhere near Rimini on the Italian East coast, in the early nineties. Apart from the ubiquitous filth in the rooms that had not been cleaned for weeks, the kitchen was operated by reluctant youths who, when having their attention drawn to the presence of ants in the sugar pots, laconically said: ‘Yes, look, there’s an ant.’ The coffee exuded a distinct pong of urine, and I should not be surprised, had the ruffians done that deliberately.

Never have I been back to Italy of my own accord. It is a great pity that the country possesses all these wondrous ancient sites and yet has to be peopled by screaming show-offs and loud-mouthed brutes of either sex, who will stop at nothing to annoy you just for the fun of it. Without the eyeties, I could possibly be persuaded to visit again. And, of course: it’s bloody hot at that. I get awful headaches as soon as temperatures reach 20 centigrade, and my skin needs about an hour to start turning red.

Ever since I started travelling on my own, I have had a great liking for Northern Germany, Denmark, the Hebrides and Shetlands. Hoping to see the Faroes / Færøerne this year.

Ever since I started travelling on my own, I have had a great liking for Northern Germany, Denmark, the Hebrides and Shetlands. Hoping to see the Faroes / Færøerne this year.

Try Iceland. I did a grand tour for two weeks and loved it. Mid-summer, birds singing at 2am and constant sunshine.

They're a bit mad though, but nice mad, not bad mad :)

I would like to add Cairo to the list too. On par with, if not worse, than Tunisia :(

Oh I love Tunisia! Been 4 times in the past few years & just got back last week after a 2 week hol in Sousse. We don't take the locals too seriously & have a laugh with them. One lad was glad to get us out of the shop without us buying owt! :hihi: A bit further down the medina another lad gave us a "free" pendant each. "Oh thanks very much" we said and walked off. "Just give me 1 dinar for it" he says. "No it's free!" we say, and carry on walking. "No no it's not free" he says. "Yes you said it' free!" "No I want it back it's not free!" He chased us and we were peeing ourselves laughing! Decided to give it back in the end :hihi:

Worse place I've been is Calais, France. Horrible ignorant people.

Does the 'What's the worst place you have been on holiday abroad' become irrelevant after 6yrs. I would think it becomes relevant again at this time of year and makes far more interesting reading than posts about dead cats found on Halifax Road.

I suspect that this year it may be particularly relevant.:sad:

Turkey may not be the best choice this year and (according to a warning in the local paper this morning) Cairo may be (more than) a bit unpleasant during the next two weekends.

Bali. The island is a complete dump and Kuta (sp) is the really nasty bits of Spain for Australians. Don't ever ever go to Bali!

garbage its very easy to avoid kuta and the crap bits

alot of aussies and expats that work on fly in fly out projects in WA live in bali now so much cheaper than oz and the accom is fantastic .

some of the balanesian style houses you can rent up in the mountains are beautifully exotic I 'd live there tomorrow if I was working in WA.

Cyprus, the greek side, miles and miles of ugly landscape, drove across Cyprus for the scenery - i.t. w.a.s. t.h.e s.a.m.e. from one side to the other and it was also very boring and expensive too.

The other place I wouldn't go back to is Montreal in Canada, they speak French with funny Canadian accents and the ones I came across were bloody rude especially in the hotel we were staying in at the time, nice hotel but a couple of the staff had it in for the English, still the hotel manager wasn't impressed by it all and arranged for us to have free accommodation at another of the companies hotels elsewhere in Canada on our next visit to say sorry - still I'd never go back

Funnily enough I don't like France either for the same reason! Everywhere else I've been has been great

I was in Cyprus recently and it was not expensive, plus you need to go inland to see different scenery. You cant say its the same all over when you can ski in parts and sit on a sandy beach on others!

India. We joined some friends there who go for 4-6 weeks every year.

As soon as we landed I hated it - dirty, dusty and too hot for me.

I wanted to cry every day and the only thing good about it was that we only went for 2 weeks and not the month we originally planned.

Thank you work for refusing to give me 4 weeks holiday together.

Archived