Woodthorpe/Richmond/Manor Road Names

Has anyone got any information on how any of the roads in the woodthorpe/richmond/manor areas got their names? Any info much appreciated weather it be folk-law, out of a book, or off the net (let me know the webpage please) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fishponds road is pretty self explanatory.

Other names were for farms etc in the area. (for example Windy House lane was for Windy house farm) others named for Landowners.

The old Manor, the original road names like "Paulet" road have mainly Elizabethan/ Tudor connections. (as do many road names in the Manor/ Castle area:- think "FitzHubert", "Babington", "Cary" "Queen Mary", "Guildford", "Framingham", "Howard, "Talbot", "Shrewsbury", "Norfolk" "Stafford" etc) others were in honour of the old Saxon thanes (lords) like Wulfric/ Waltheof/ Athelstan. Scotia? - well, again, another Mary QoS link.

MQoS has another link. "Arbour thorne", according to legend is named for an "arbour (orchard?) of thorns (roses?) which was allegedly constructed for MQoS's enjoyment, whilst she was imprisoned in Sheffield

The Fellbrigg name is another link to the Howards/ Norfolks (yet another title/ tranche of land the Dukes of Norfolk hold) Hartopp is another titled name.

When the Manor was redeveloped, many roads were renamed, between the Pipworth road area and Harborough Avenue, into "Castle Beck" and were given names supposedly reflecting Saxon and Viking heritage.

Plain Talker really is a gold mine of information:hihi: She's brilliant! I love reading things like this because often wonder myself where places get the names given.

What about Moorhole lane? know there was a pit nearby but surely the lane was there before this? Was there just a hole in the middle of the moor?

Lightwood Lane? a light wood or a wood where there was a lot of light? where did Troway get it's name from also? always wondered this.

Plain Talker really is a gold mine of information:hihi: She's brilliant! I love reading things like this because often wonder myself where places get the names given.

What about Moorhole lane? know there was a pit nearby but surely the lane was there before this? Was there just a hole in the middle of the moor?

Lightwood Lane? a light wood or a wood where there was a lot of light? where did Troway get it's name from also? always wondered this.

Thanks puddinburner.

a mate of mine always says that, if she ever gets through to "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", she will list me for her "phone a friend", as I'm such a mine of information (most of it useless, I have to say, except when playing Trivial Pursuit!)

I'm not sure about those name origins, though, I have to admit.

Moorhole must have links with moors somewhere, that's only logical...

As for Lightwood, I grew up not far from there, and spent many an idyllic summer day, walking round there... I'm not sure if the farm came first, then the road, or vice-versa....

tom, there was a Woodthorpe Hall on the Woodthorpe estate, for which it was named.

I also believe, that, further down Richmond Road, there is a sheltered development, at the junction with Stradbroke Road which was originally either something like Stradbroke Hall or Richmond Hall farm?

Just off Richmond Road, opposite where brook school was is a row of houses called 'sea breeze terrace' .......... many years ago the first house was a shop, anyway ....... a bloke won a lot of money on a horse called 'sea breeze' and either bought them or had them built ........... or so the story goes

• 4 weeks later...

Archived