Moving to Sheffield from Australia

First BIG mistake!

When in UK DO NOT mention the "B" word - that's why there have been big black thunder clouds over Sheffield tonight!

Well, as long as they aren't there tomorrow ... anti-Bs will have to root (another Oz slang word BTW) out its location and EX-TER-MI-NATE.

:hihi: read my first message carefully DT.

Reading all the "you must be mad" comments on this thread is serious deja vu for me...when I moved to Sheffield from Australia in 2004 it's all I heard during my first few months in the city!

I've been back in Australia for a while now and I have to say that I still miss Sheffield terribly, even though on balance I probably shouldn't. Here I live minutes away from Bondi Beach, in Sheff I lived in the Hyde Park flats. Here I can go out some days in the middle of winter wearing only a t-shirt, in Sheff I was lucky to go out in the middle of summer wearing only a t-shirt. The list goes on.

For those Sheffielders who would sell their grandmother to jump on the first flight to Sydney, I'm not going to patronise them by suggesting they've formed their opinion of Oz from watching Neighbours/Home and Away, but from what I witnessed in the UK there is definitely a commonly held view of Australia as some sort of exotic, sunshiney Utopia. I know a lot of people on this forum have visited Oz, but remember that the country you experience on holiday is very different to the country you experience when you live there. Case in point - many people who visit London for a week or two rave about how great the Tube is, but many Londoners hate it, because they're the ones who have to put up with the crowds at peak hour, the delays, the break downs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Australia is a great country but we have our problems too. It seems the OP's family's move is based on career, which is becoming increasingly common across a lot of industries in Australia as people have to move overseas to seek out the opportunities that just aren't available here. For some people, the fact that Australia is at the end of the earth is a major selling point, but for others (especially young people) it's very frustrating. Why do you think the year or two pulling pints in a London pub has pretty much become compulsory for young Aussies once they finish school/uni? The fact is, even the most beautiful place can become boring when you've lived there your whole life. That was a huge part of the reason why I initially moved overseas.

Anyway Deb from Oz, my rant aside, I'm sure you're going to have a lovely time in Sheffield. The thing that stood out to me the most, and has been pointed out here, was how friendly everyone was. Even if they are all secretly harbouring a desire to up sticks and move down under!

Reading all the "you must be mad" comments on this thread is serious deja vu for me...when I moved to Sheffield from Australia in 2004 it's all I heard during my first few months in the city!

I've been back in Australia for a while now and I have to say that I still miss Sheffield terribly, even though on balance I probably shouldn't. Here I live minutes away from Bondi Beach, in Sheff I lived in the Hyde Park flats. Here I can go out some days in the middle of winter wearing only a t-shirt, in Sheff I was lucky to go out in the middle of summer wearing only a t-shirt. The list goes on.

For those Sheffielders who would sell their grandmother to jump on the first flight to Sydney, I'm not going to patronise them by suggesting they've formed their opinion of Oz from watching Neighbours/Home and Away, but from what I witnessed in the UK there is definitely a commonly held view of Australia as some sort of exotic, sunshiney Utopia. I know a lot of people on this forum have visited Oz, but remember that the country you experience on holiday is very different to the country you experience when you live there. Case in point - many people who visit London for a week or two rave about how great the Tube is, but many Londoners hate it, because they're the ones who have to put up with the crowds at peak hour, the delays, the break downs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Australia is a great country but we have our problems too. It seems the OP's family's move is based on career, which is becoming increasingly common across a lot of industries in Australia as people have to move overseas to seek out the opportunities that just aren't available here. For some people, the fact that Australia is at the end of the earth is a major selling point, but for others (especially young people) it's very frustrating. Why do you think the year or two pulling pints in a London pub has pretty much become compulsory for young Aussies once they finish school/uni? The fact is, even the most beautiful place can become boring when you've lived there your whole life. That was a huge part of the reason why I initially moved overseas.

Anyway Deb from Oz, my rant aside, I'm sure you're going to have a lovely time in Sheffield. The thing that stood out to me the most, and has been pointed out here, was how friendly everyone was. Even if they are all secretly harbouring a desire to up sticks and move down under!

good post - but how on earth do you manage to balance on the fence when you are minutes from Bondi Beach?

And how often do we have people link Hyde Park flats with Bondi Beach in the same post? It has to be a first!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Actually Wal I've sort of jazzed around the world. Maybe I should have called myself 'The Flying Dutchman' instead - but I'm not Dutch and probably still alive. I was born in Chile and since then have lived in Bolivia, Ireland, Panama, Australia, Spain, back to Oz, then here. In terms of places not to live, perhaps Panama was the most dangerous, but I was a child at the time. Ireland and Spain were also a bit explosive, if you know what I mean, around the time I was there but a miss is as good as a mile.

I'll be working at Sheffield Uni so I'm glad to hear it has a reasonable standing. I understand the first (?) school founded was medicine in the 1800's. I expect occupational and environmental health were big incentives, as you imply.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting there, which happens tomorrow, and, strangely, I will pretty much go straight to a barbecue when I arrive!:banana: Friendly people these Deedars!

So, are you settled in now??

Hi all!

My family is moving to Sheffield soon from Australia. We have two daughters who will need to be in years 5 and 7 at school. I've been reading threads about getting places in schools (especially entry into high school) and am pretty worried about what lies ahead. Our oldest child is going to miss year 6 completely because of the month in which her birthdate falls. Eeeeeekk!

Everyone keeps mentioning home schooling - I am a teacher so I suppose we could go down that route, but there goes my plan of working.

We need to pick a good area where we can rent a flat, be within reasonable commuting time to Sheffield Uni and have access to two decent schools. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

It seems that children coming in part way through the term from overseas don't get any sort of consideration in the placement process so I suppose we had better be careful about where we choose to live.

All suggestions are welcome.

Deb

has your partner settled in?

Yes, he is very settled and enjoying work. He is about to sign a rental lease so we will have somewhere to live when we arrive in October. Tapton School is just around the corner so we might try for a place there for our oldest child. Fingers crossed...

Thanks to all of you who have offered advice. It is very much appreciated!

Deb:hihi:

Why on earth does anyone want to come to Britain from Australia, I cant wait to leave this country, to be honest, I have had many happy years in Sheffield, but the climate of our country has never suited me, and it is certainly not clean and the people as polite as in Australia

Sad news: we missed out on the flat we were going to rent because the owner has changed his mind and taken it off the rental market! :rant:

Back to the drawing board. We have found another in Fulwood so maybe it will be THE ONE.:D

So far today has been a wipeout. A neighbour was murdered two houses away from us in our quiet liitle street. He was selling drugs:loopy:and the deal went very wrong, resulting in him being stabbed to death. Can't believe it! We had so many police, forensics, ambulance, detectives and drug squad people in the street for hours. Just awful.

My cousin's husband died of cancer.

A popular young Aussie actor suicided by jumping off a building due to depression.

We couldn't rent the flat we had decided on.

Only 55 minutes and today will be over - here's hoping tomorrow is wonderful.:hihi:

good post - but how on earth do you manage to balance on the fence when you are minutes from Bondi Beach?

And how often do we have people link Hyde Park flats with Bondi Beach in the same post? It has to be a first!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be so fussed about Bondi myself. But Coogee, now that's a beach worth flying to the other side of the world for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/school_tables/secondary_schools/html/373.stm

From the above link you can judge for yourself, or y, sen as they say here.

The best Schools in the UK are always Independents, closely followed by Christian... Church of England or Catholic.

To attend a Catholic School it is fairly easy if you:

1. Are a practising Catholic. You could still apply if you...

2. Attend a Christian church.

Other schools depend on your catchment area (whereabouts you live).

If you are Catholic I recommend writing to Notre Dame ASAP for your 11 yr olds and above and St Marie’s Catholic School for under 12s if you intend to live in S10 Area

Just noticed that you might live in Fulwood, this would be Ideal for St Marie's and The High School next door: Notre Dame.

Archived