Moving to Sheffield from Australia

Love Oz me and the Mrs have been a few times not sure I can help with the schools as we don't have kids but if there is anything we can do to help let us know.

As for areas all the areas mentioned to live in are all very nice as is the city centre (especially if you want a flat). Depending which Uni your hubby works at will be a factor but both have campuses reasonably close to the city centre.

Where abouts in Oz are you from?

Hi Deb - well, I hope you manage to get the flat in Fulwood; if so then you should be able to find suitable schools. This thread is no different from many others in that there are widely differing views of life in Sheffield and elsewhere, but I think that your children especially will benefit from seeing and experiencing a different way of life. Good luck!

Sheffield is rubbish. Road works all over the place, more bad areas than good, crap city life (both day and night), potholes, too many traffic lights ect.

The best thing about sheffield is the beautiful countryside on the doorstep which you'll love.

Other than that i would set up home in manchester:)

Welcome to Sheffield ... You will have a ball ... Best city in uk ... By far! And some recent stats say we are one of the safest cities too. Enjoy your stay here and let us all know how you get on ;)

I was told the stats said we're not that good for sheffield by a family friend last week. 3rd or 4th most violent city or something??

• 3 months later...

I'm from Oz and have been living in Sheffield for 5 years. I live in Stocksbridge and work at Sheffield Uni. Excellent schools in Stocksbridge. My two children do their schooling in Stocksbridge and the schools are fantastic. Also surrounding suburbs of Deepcar and Oughtibrige. About 12 miles to Uni or 20 minutes by car. Excellent bus and tram service to the Uni. If you want to see oficial school ratings google "ofsted". Good luck and rug up for winter. It can get cold.

Archived