Moving to Sheffield from Australia

Reading all the "you must be mad" comments on this thread is serious deja vu for me...when I moved to Sheffield from Australia in 2004 it's all I heard during my first few months in the city!

I've been back in Australia for a while now and I have to say that I still miss Sheffield terribly, even though on balance I probably shouldn't. Here I live minutes away from Bondi Beach, in Sheff I lived in the Hyde Park flats. Here I can go out some days in the middle of winter wearing only a t-shirt, in Sheff I was lucky to go out in the middle of summer wearing only a t-shirt. The list goes on.

your not the girl i saw getting arrested out side the beach rd hotel last thursday are you ?..... wi sheffield forum t shirt on .. tha really should put more "clooers" on love....or at least a pair of knickers !!!!!.and another thing .......ah don"t want to set thee off rooerin lisaO ,but its not sheffield that missing is it, its people init.....reight?.........reight !!..alreight ...anyway .al bi darn beach rooad tuesday neet wi mi sf t shirt on sat aht front ..ont glenarye ave side come up and say hello ....or ,a tha alreight...or ,weersta bin till nah.....by the way arn"t the Xmas decorations good this year in bondi .... iv"e seen one blow up santa in the hall st newsagents and even that had a jewish skull cap on......

Hi Deb,

Welcome to Sheffield. I moved from Australia directly to Sheffield 3 months ago and it was a great move! The people here are really friendly and it's really pretty - much greener than home. Travel over here is really easy, with everything being so accessible by either public transport or car (and the cheapy airlines only a stones throw away.) Make sure you get your family out to check out the Peak District!

I can't help you out with schools as I don't have kids. But I've got some setup tips for you. If you're planning on phoning back to Australia alot theres some good home phone deals where international calls for free. If not, Talk mobile have good rates to Oz.

Also, if you're planning on working, try to make your National Insurance (NI) Number Appointment soon. They can take a couple of weeks normally, let alone over the Christmas period. ‘ probably a good idea to register at the local gp as well.

I hope you've settled in by now and are enjoying the Winter Christmas atmosphere.

Archived