Moving to Sheffield from Australia

As with many cities in this country, the best residential areas and the best schools go hand in hand. Usually that's on the West side of a city because, in the past, the industrial areas were usually built on the East side to accommodate the prevailing westerly winds that blow across our cloudy little island.

Sheffield's no different really, although that doesn't mean there aren't nice places and good schools elsewhere. The state school that usually comes out top in the rankings is Silverdale, at Ecclesall. Then others, as mentioned here like High Storrs, King Ecgberts, Sheffield High (girls only), Notre Dame are amongst the best. If you want private schools there's Westbourne (mixed) and Birkdale (boys only) which obviously come at a price.

The school rankings are not gospel of course. A lot depends on the material that the schools have to work with, in terms of the type of families the kids come from. But generally, the better the area the better the schools.

If you need to be near the Uni then Westside would be good for you. I think Crookes is a vibrant happening sort of place with affordable housing, but, you could do better perhaps. Ranmoor, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Ringinglow, Dore, Totley, Whirlow for example. But you'll pay a hefty premium for your house, even if renting. But you'll be paying for your neighbours too which is a big factor to consider.

Kids, especially boys, are affected by their peers more than their teachers - so getting in with a good crowd is going to be a key factor in their academic performance.

Hi,

I'm Deb's hubby.

I'm not from Oz, and vegemite doesn't appeal to me, but that's heresy. Tribalism is quite important. That's not me.

I like travel, it costs too much in Oz as Qantas and Virgin Blue have the usual (for Oz) duopoly going.

Bank charges, for example, are many times highers than in the UK. People are generally reluctant to stand up for their rights, or stand up, in general. 'That's the way it is' is a common refrain.

I don't like barbecues, but I barbecue quite well. I like the beach but Deb prefers swimming pools - no sand. I like the weather in Oz but 30 nights over 85F can be a bit of a trial.

I love history and archeology but Oz has only 200 years of either of these, or else anthropology.

I like football, but that's a sport for '*******' in Oz. No mainstream news coverage of the Euro 2008.

Oz is committed to combating global warming but coal is one it's biggest exports. The main push as petrol prices rise is to cut prices, not adjust to changing times. The development of alternative energy technologies are much hampered by a strong energy industry lobby. For a very relevant example, very little is spent on solar energy research.

My contract in Sheffield is for a fixed term but we have an open mind about our move. This is the 7th country I've lived in so I'm quite aware that all that glitters is not gold, regardless of TV programs.

Think on....:wave:

Hi,

I'm Deb's hubby.

I'm not from Oz, and vegemite doesn't appeal to me, but that's heresy. Tribalism is quite important. That's not me.

I like travel, it costs too much in Oz as Qantas and Virgin Blue have the usual (for Oz) duopoly going.

Bank charges, for example, are many times highers than in the UK. People are generally reluctant to stand up for their rights, or stand up, in general. 'That's the way it is' is a common refrain.

I don't like barbecues, but I barbecue quite well. I like the beach but Deb prefers swimming pools - no sand. I like the weather in Oz but 30 nights over 85F can be a bit of a trial.

I love history and archeology but Oz has only 200 years of either of these, or else anthropology.

I like football, but that's a sport for '*******' in Oz. No mainstream news coverage of the Euro 2008.

Oz is committed to combating global warming but coal is one it's biggest exports. The main push as petrol prices rise is to cut prices, not adjust to changing times. The development of alternative energy technologies are much hampered by a strong energy industry lobby. For a very relevant example, very little is spent on solar energy research.

My contract in Sheffield is for a fixed term but we have an open mind about our move. This is the 7th country I've lived in so I'm quite aware that all that glitters is not gold, regardless of TV programs.

Think on....:wave:

With these forthright (Oz has its down-side) views and your ex-pat past it reads like you will be a very interesting bloke to know and have a beer with! You'll be telling me next you prefer warm bitter to frosty lager!

When do you catch the plane? Maybe I've missed out on a few posts and you are already here?

Welcome anyway, sounds like you'll fit in quite well.

I am moving the other way (Melbourne) pretty soon and cant wait! i been out there and love it.

Me and wife are not born and bred Sheffielder's but we have enjoyed are time here until the last few years,

when i first moved here 7yrs ago (although i lived here for aboutb 4yrs b4 that) and the majority of people in this city were friendly and welcoming and really made us feel happy here, i moved to an area i never really knew much about but the houses where new and pretty cheap but it turned out that the area had got a bad reputation (Manor) anyway still here and not half has bad as what the so called "now friendly Sheffield" people make it out to be.

The city now is not as good! most of the friendlyness seems to have gone from the city that once made it stand out from all the other cities in the UK!

Dont be fooled by people telling you about certain areas to live in as there are few really good areas left except maybe Dore,Totley,Fulwood,Bradway and a few others, i would stay away from places like the Manor,Pitsmoor,Burngreave,Southey green,Firth park,Shirgreen,Shirecliffe,Heeley,Low Edges,Parson's Cross,Ecclesfield,Herdings,Gleadless,Darnall,Woodhouse as they are all pretty similar as much as people try to make they are not.

My heart will always be in Sheffield because the friendlyness i got when i came here from good honest hard working sheffielders and still get from my neighbours plus both my children were born here.

Sheffield is still a beautiful and great city so dont let me put you off coming and you can make up your own mind when you get but here Australia or sheffield? you will soon find out.

Good luck

Hi again.

As you can see, my husband is really happy to be heading to Sheffield and I'm sure he will have a ball. Australia is not really his cup of tea for so many reasons because he is European at heart!

He will be there there next week and we will be over in early October. Back to packing...

Deb

Hi again.

As you can see, my husband is really happy to be heading to Sheffield and I'm sure he will have a ball. Australia is not really his cup of tea for so many reasons because he is European at heart!

He will be there there next week and we will be over in early October. Back to packing...

Deb

I'm sure you will all be made most welcome in Sheffield. Good luck!

Hi again.

Deb

Good luck to the pair of you, and hearty welcomes when you get here!

Archived