Moving to Sheffield from Australia

Hi again,

Thanks Deb for providing excuses for me (:love:). I have to admit this move is entirely my doing.

I sounded a bit negative about Oz in my previous e-mail but I was simply pointing out that not everything about Oz may appeal to all.

In fact it is a huge country, geographically very diverse, and offers a relatively easy lifestyle (except to aborigines - but that is a very difficult problem to solve). People there a quite wealthy as salaries are not inconsiderable, despite 11 years of recent Liberal (ie conservative) government. Services are quite good and easy to access.

Depending on where one lives, housing can be quite cheap (it's going through a bit of a slump at the moment - like UK). However Sydney and recently Perth, are quite expensive, in general. Of course, all cities have their very expensive areas, and less sought-after areas.

Those of you who would like to go out there, it's certainly worth a look. Economic opportunities are there, and jobs are plentiful in certain areas, mining in particular. We have lived in Perth for many years before moving to New South Wales, and the gateway to the major mining State is a very nice, if relatively quiet, city of 1.2m people.

I wish those of you who go out there to live, and to visit, the best of luck. I hope it's everything you want and that you are very happy there.

Cheers :thumbsup:

i say u must be of your ROCKER OR HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MARBLES sheffield has got nothing compaired with oz ,,it as nothing to offer you or you kids apart from greasy cafes and trouble every other day no matter wear you live please please please think about what you are doing you wud be better of moving to afganistan they is less trouble there ..............

There's some devils in Tasmania I hear.

Oh great i'm going to be singing that all night now!

I hope your move to Sheffield runs smoothly. Where areas are concerned it is more down to certain streets than an area as a whole. I am lucky to live on a good street and the worst i've had is the wing mirror kicked off my car, which happens in every area whether it has a good reputation or not. I would do your own research rather than relying too much on peoples opinions, although they can help too. One bad family can give a whole area a bad name. In addition mud sticks, so whereas an area may not have been a good place to live five years ago, it could be one of the best now, but it will keep it's bad name for a lot longer.

Choose carefully, fully research where you are going and you will be fine. i hope you enjoy Sheffield :).

As for trouble, don't forget the biggest (?35 killed) mass shooting ever took place there a few years ago! Tasmania, mind you :rolleyes:.

Yes - Port Arthur, 1996. I was there a fortnight later; it was an awful tragedy. But it could happen anywhere - all that's needed is a heavily-armed madman (e.g. Hungerford, 1987).

Yes - Port Arthur, 1996. I was there a fortnight later; it was an awful tragedy. But it could happen anywhere - all that's needed is a heavily-armed madman (e.g. Hungerford, 1987).

My point exactly. Unfortunately, there is good and bad everywhere. Decisions to move are made on balance, and I believe we are moving to a reasonable place.

:wave:

Hi all!

My family is moving to Sheffield soon from Australia. We have two daughters who will need to be in years 5 and 7 at school. I've been reading threads about getting places in schools (especially entry into high school) and am pretty worried about what lies ahead. Our oldest child is going to miss year 6 completely because of the month in which her birthdate falls. Eeeeeekk!

Everyone keeps mentioning home schooling - I am a teacher so I suppose we could go down that route, but there goes my plan of working.

We need to pick a good area where we can rent a flat, be within reasonable commuting time to Sheffield Uni and have access to two decent schools. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

It seems that children coming in part way through the term from overseas don't get any sort of consideration in the placement process so I suppose we had better be careful about where we choose to live.

All suggestions are welcome.

Deb

I would seriously think again about coming to Sheffield - think about your children's future. :nono:

Hi again,

Thanks Deb for providing excuses for me (:love:). I have to admit this move is entirely my doing.

I sounded a bit negative about Oz in my previous e-mail but I was simply pointing out that not everything about Oz may appeal to all.

In fact it is a huge country, geographically very diverse, and offers a relatively easy lifestyle (except to aborigines - but that is a very difficult problem to solve). People there a quite wealthy as salaries are not inconsiderable, despite 11 years of recent Liberal (ie conservative) government. Services are quite good and easy to access.

Depending on where one lives, housing can be quite cheap (it's going through a bit of a slump at the moment - like UK). However Sydney and recently Perth, are quite expensive, in general. Of course, all cities have their very expensive areas, and less sought-after areas.

Those of you who would like to go out there, it's certainly worth a look. Economic opportunities are there, and jobs are plentiful in certain areas, mining in particular. We have lived in Perth for many years before moving to New South Wales, and the gateway to the major mining State is a very nice, if relatively quiet, city of 1.2m people.

I wish those of you who go out there to live, and to visit, the best of luck. I hope it's everything you want and that you are very happy there.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Good Luck

get in touch when you are here and we will help if we can

Archived