Moving to Sheffield from Australia

Burngreave is a good place to get a feel for our city,you have the local schools which are truly great and if I was you I would try to get the kids in there.

You have plenty of local shops and your close to the city centre you can walk it in 5 mins.:)

This is in the wrong thread - should be in the jokes section surely! Are you mad? Or just plain evil?

I'm afraid I've got to side with the 'don't do it/you must be mad' contingent on this one.

OH yes I wiiiiillll.:hihi:

Thanks for the warnings on th next generation, but they can decide where to live when the time comes. They are intelligent kods and will get the opportunities an education can give, even (or in spite of) a mediocre one. They will get all the support we can give them of course.

For example, I worked in the mines for 2 years in Oz while I decided what I wanted to do with my life. In hindsight it didn't do me much harm and made me an awful lot of money.

:smile:

OH yes I wiiiiillll.:hihi:

Thanks for the warnings on th next generation, but they can decide where to live when the time comes. They are intelligent kods and will get the opportunities an education can give, even (or in spite of) a mediocre one. They will get all the support we can give them of course.

For example, I worked in the mines for 2 years in Oz while I decided what I wanted to do with my life. In hindsight it didn't do me much harm and made me an awful lot of money.

:smile:

er kids not kods :loopy:

So, ulysses, did you jazz around the Mediterranean like your namesake, or where else have you lived? I'm assuming you are originally British by birth and already know what the country is like. Anyway I hope you get in touch when you arrive, as I'm an expat Aussie who has lived in Sheffield for many years and am very fond of it. It's a pity there are so many denigrators who give you only the negative side of the city--however, in the current political and social situation there is a bit of a general malaise, as if the whole country is going down the tubes...I'm reminded of the old joke some years ago, when graffiti appeared saying Will the last person to leave Britain please turn off the light. As a historian of the Middle Ages, I could tell them just how nasty the country really used to be! And the horrible industrial legacy of Sheffield which once made it one of the worst places to live and work (though it also led to the grand stone-built houses that now grace the city). Yes, it has areas with problems, as all cities have, but it also has many pleasant residential suburbs and indeed the people are friendly, sometimes in a rough sort of way, but friendly all the same. It's not as snobbish as Leeds, with which it has a great rivalry.

I'm in Nether Edge, a mixed area but with a lively neighbourhood group and it is a conservation area, so in general there are good houses and it's handy for the city centre and the University--I can walk to both within about half an hour. I also know Crookes, which others have mentioned as a possibility, and it is also a pleasant suburb.

So don't be put off! I understand some of the negative things you mentioned about Oz, and indeed some of those were partly behind my move to here. I was never into the hedonistic "She'll be apples" lifestyle and wanted to follow more serious pursuits, and found a niche for myself here which has given me a good life.

I do hope it all works out for you--who knows, you may be tempted to stay. Sheffield University, incidentally, has the highest rate of graduate students who remain here after their degrees (there was a recent thread on this in the forum if you search for it)--so that must indicate something.

So, ulysses, did you jazz around the Mediterranean like your namesake, (snip).

Actually Wal I've sort of jazzed around the world. Maybe I should have called myself 'The Flying Dutchman' instead - but I'm not Dutch and probably still alive. I was born in Chile and since then have lived in Bolivia, Ireland, Panama, Australia, Spain, back to Oz, then here. In terms of places not to live, perhaps Panama was the most dangerous, but I was a child at the time. Ireland and Spain were also a bit explosive, if you know what I mean, around the time I was there but a miss is as good as a mile.

I'll be working at Sheffield Uni so I'm glad to hear it has a reasonable standing. I understand the first (?) school founded was medicine in the 1800's. I expect occupational and environmental health were big incentives, as you imply.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting there, which happens tomorrow, and, strangely, I will pretty much go straight to a barbecue when I arrive!:banana: Friendly people these Deedars!

So, ulysses, did you jazz around the Mediterranean like your namesake, or where else have you lived? I'm assuming you are originally British by birth and already know what the country is like. Anyway I hope you get in touch when you arrive, as I'm an expat Aussie who has lived in Sheffield for many years and am very fond of it. It's a pity there are so many denigrators who give you only the negative side of the city--however, in the current political and social situation there is a bit of a general malaise, as if the whole country is going down the tubes...I'm reminded of the old joke some years ago, when graffiti appeared saying Will the last person to leave Britain please turn off the light. As a historian of the Middle Ages, I could tell them just how nasty the country really used to be! And the horrible industrial legacy of Sheffield which once made it one of the worst places to live and work (though it also led to the grand stone-built houses that now grace the city). Yes, it has areas with problems, as all cities have, but it also has many pleasant residential suburbs and indeed the people are friendly, sometimes in a rough sort of way, but friendly all the same. It's not as snobbish as Leeds, with which it has a great rivalry.

I'm in Nether Edge, a mixed area but with a lively neighbourhood group and it is a conservation area, so in general there are good houses and it's handy for the city centre and the University--I can walk to both within about half an hour. I also know Crookes, which others have mentioned as a possibility, and it is also a pleasant suburb.

So don't be put off! I understand some of the negative things you mentioned about Oz, and indeed some of those were partly behind my move to here. I was never into the hedonistic "She'll be apples" lifestyle and wanted to follow more serious pursuits, and found a niche for myself here which has given me a good life.

I do hope it all works out for you--who knows, you may be tempted to stay. Sheffield University, incidentally, has the highest rate of graduate students who remain here after their degrees (there was a recent thread on this in the forum if you search for it)--so that must indicate something.

good post, glad you are backing "us" - I've only been here for 32 years from East Anglia - now that's a place!

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting there, which happens tomorrow, and, strangely, I will pretty much go straight to a barbecue when I arrive!:banana: Friendly people these Deedars!

First BIG mistake!

When in UK DO NOT mention the "B" word - that's why there have been big black thunder clouds over Sheffield tonight!

good post, glad you are backing "us" - I've only been here for 32 years from East Anglia - now that's a place!

Oh dear--I hope you don't find the webbed feet too much of a problem in walking up and down Sheffield's hills!

Archived