Dress code on a night out

squirly

On several occasions in the last few months i have been out for a quiet drink with my girlfriend and friends, only to decide we'd head to a late bar / club.

However, on arrival at said establishments, we have been refused entry as the men are not wearing 'shoes'.

Every time we have been dressed - at the risk of sounding arrogant, both smart and stylish (i.e. not in t shirts / what i hear people refer to as chav labels), yet because a pair of slip-ons / couture sneakers / clean converse are being worn, we are deemed inappropriately attired.

This may sound like a generalised statement but seems that the only prerequisite is a pair of shoes. I see so many people out at the weekend looking 'scruffy', yet because they have on a pair of shoes, entry to bars / clubs is granted.

I respect that for many, shoes complement an outfit and differentiate between causal and smart. But when are bar / club owners going to realise that smart night our clothing for men is not limited to jeans, shoes and a shirt?

Must admit Sheffield dress code can be a little odd to say the least, if in fact there is one,I know there used to be one, 'Smart/ Casual(designer) Smart, now I think its just, wear any old rag, after all most of em just seem to wear clothes to stop beer gettin in the chest hair :)

I keep seeing blokes in town wearing clothes I wouldnt wear to roll round a muddy puddle in :) Amazes me, loadsa blokes allegedly out on pull...all dressed like the contents of a Barf Bag, geez, whatever happened to making an effort and making an impression? I wonder if they realise making an impression involves not looking like everyone else,not wearing your beer or dribbling it and not blending seemlessly into the beer stained carpet :)

My daughter was commenting on clothes for a night out in Sheffield when she came up the other weekend.

She went out with her friends for a drink locally but then they ended up in town and were turned away by a bar, because she was wearing jeans. She found this strange as she said, you can get in anywhere in London in jeans, even into nightclubs, let alone a mongy bar.

I'm not sure of the dress codes in places like Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham? Maybe Sheffield has delusions of grandeur regarding clothes?

But when are bar / club owners going to realise that smart night our clothing for men is not limited to jeans, shoes and a shirt?

...I've never had any problems re. 'shoes' since I started dressing as a female for nights out, often in skyscraper 8" heels...

However, I do generally stick to Gay/Gay friendly bars, but I often also go to 'mainstream' venues such as Plug, Runaway Girl, Westway, Red House, Shakespeare, etc...

I am hesitant to call them stupid alex3659, rather ignorant.

And the girls never have a problem - nor do we all the time.

If the rules in force are "one must look presentable", then some of the people that i see in the clubs / bars shouldn’t be allowed in.

I am not expecting to be allowed to enter wearing sports shoes / trainers (there is a difference, converse excluded, between trainers and the sneakers i mentioned). Rather, that the presentability of myself and my friends outfits as a whole is considered.

I don’t know, maybe I’m getting more impatient as I get older.

I just hate that there seems to be three accepted looks for a night out in Sheffield - “g star denim, all saints top and a pair of shoes", "scruffy sweater, stonewash jeans and shoes" or "jeans shirt and shoes".

It’s generic, boring, and if Sheffield are trying to attract a more stylish clientele, then people need to rethink the concept of men’s style.

Our dress code is quite simple.....no baseball caps or tracksuits..that nicely filters out all the trailer trash from next door....end of.......

I thought baseball/trucker caps were a fairly "rock" item of clothing ?

Archived