Dress code on a night out

squirly

if a place has a no-trainers, jeans whatever dress code, then it prob means its not worth going to

I kind of agree. If it's the kind of place that only lets you in if you're wearing a shirt, jeans and supposedly 'smart' shoes, then it's not worth going to!

I never go for the whole shoes, jeans and a shirt look as it makes me look like I'm out to get trashed with 'the boys' and maybe looking to get in a fight or two (as it does with maybe 80% of guys who wear it).

I once turned up at a nightclub in Donny and was refused entry due to my shoes having a trendy little metal strip on the front. I was wearing a 3 piece suit at the time with shirt and tie. I guess they didn't like the look of me?

On another occasion, I went to a nightclub in Nottingham. I queued for ages only to be told at the door, "you can't come in here without a jacket". It was a warm summer's evening and I'd not considered wearing a jacket. Not only that, but I am from Chesterfield and we don't wear jackets there anyway.

Not to be outdone, I approached a group of girls who were heading towards the same club. One was wearing a velvet jacket - ideal! So I asked if I could borrow it in order to gain entry (to the club that is) and because I was so charming (as most of you have already gathered) she lent it to me. Back in the queue again for the club, I was on the threshold of entering when the same ape in a dinner suit spotted me and recognised me as the bloke who tried to get in half an hour earlier without a jacket. He took one look at this velvet jacket, with the sleeves about 18 inches too short and stretched out across my back as tight as a drumskin, and said, "sorry, you can't come in here wearing women's clothes".

I guess he still didn't like me?

I once turned up at a nightclub in Donny and was refused entry due to my shoes having a trendy little metal strip on the front. I was wearing a 3 piece suit at the time with shirt and tie. I guess they didn't like the look of me?

On another occasion, I went to a nightclub in Nottingham. I queued for ages only to be told at the door, "you can't come in here without a jacket". It was a warm summer's evening and I'd not considered wearing a jacket. Not only that, but I am from Chesterfield and we don't wear jackets there anyway.

Not to be outdone, I approached a group of girls who were heading towards the same club. One was wearing a velvet jacket - ideal! So I asked if I could borrow it in order to gain entry (to the club that is) and because I was so charming (as most of you have already gathered) she lent it to me. Back in the queue again for the club, I was on the threshold of entering when the same ape in a dinner suit spotted me and recognised me as the bloke who tried to get in half an hour earlier without a jacket. He took one look at this velvet jacket, with the sleeves about 18 inches too short and stretched out across my back as tight as a drumskin, and said, "sorry, you can't come in here wearing women's clothes".

I guess he still didn't like me?

I Suppose You then have to put the Jacket in the cloakroom for £2 as soon as you get it as well! LOL! Just another excuse to make money! If I had a Club/Bar the only rule I would have is No Sports Clothes tracksuit bottoms footy tops etc/ typicalFooty Hooligan brands, and everything else goes! No Wonder places close down if they turn away custom for such p**sant reasons!

I Suppose You then have to put the Jacket in the cloakroom for £2 as soon as you get it as well! LOL! Just another excuse to make money! If I had a Club/Bar the only rule I would have is No Sports Clothes tracksuit bottoms footy tops etc/ typicalFooty Hooligan brands, and everything else goes! No Wonder places close down if they turn away custom for such p**sant reasons!

yes, but to be honest, I am ugly as a bag of spanners as well.:(

• 1 year later...
our dress code is quite simple.....no baseball caps or tracksuits..that nicely filters out all the trailer trash from next door....end of.......

so according to you, all people who wear ball caps are trailer trash?! Are you an imbecile? When i was in new york, not one club/bar turned us away for wearing jeans/caps/bandana's or trainers. As long as we were spending money and not causing any trouble, we were made very welcome - something pubs in england should adhere to. I've long since known that certain pubs in sheff have delusions of granduer, so you can shove the Dove and Rainbow up your arse. We've also been turned away from certain pubs - including witherspoons chain - for wearing uniforms. Again, in the states, people are proud to have forces personel in their establishments. Our money spends elsewhere now, in places that accept that a man wearing trainers/hat/jeans, is not an instant trouble maker. Before any smart arse wants to try and tell me about 'ooh the cameras need to see a persons face' - load of ********. I've trained people in security & serveillance & a hat is a positive identity target. Plus - when have you ever seen anyone fighting still managing to keep their hat on? (let alone shirt)

all these dress code rules are simply some prat who owns a bar wanting to be a snobby ****. I've part-owned a bar myself & we never had any trouble in two years. People dressed how they wanted. So again - shove the Dove up your arse. R.marines

iv had many problems like this around sheffield city centre "nightlife". me and my OH planned to go out for a freinds birthday so we both dressed appropiatly. we qued to get in a bar only to be told "those shoes arnt acceptable" (which were black smart shoes btw) and when i politely asked why he replied "they look too much like rockport" which are asssoicated to football hooligans. i then asked the bouncer what shoes are acceptable he replied "trainers " . my OH had planned to wear trainers but i suggested not to as i had been in bar before which refuse trainers. after another 10 minutes of debating at the door the bouncer finally desided to let us in , when we did eventually get in the bar i found it rather amusing that there was a particular male who was dressed in a stone island jumper and wearing the dreaded ROCKPORTS.

Archived