Men calling each other "love"

Back in the 50s and 60s Sheffield men used to address each other as "love" it was just an expression, nothing more, and meant nothing other, but it was a source of extreme surprise and amusement to outsiders (non Sheffielders that is) and I'm sure it caused some problems when Sheffield "blokes" went elswhere. Who remembers that?

One thing I remember about the custom was, after a few pints, there might be a difference of opinion or a falling out over a girl (never me, of course ;) ) and the word took on a sharper and less friendly edge, which often presaged a feight!

As girls we became pretty adapt at judging the stage at which 'love' was becoming an insult, and interjecting the time honoured words ... "Leave it, (insert name here] he's not worth it!" ... and dragging the offended warrior from the scene!

lol, what larks! :D

One thing I remember about the custom was, after a few pints, there might be a difference of opinion or a falling out over a girl (never me, of course ;) ) and the word took on a sharper and less friendly edge, which often presaged a feight!

As girls we became pretty adapt at judging the stage at which 'love' was becoming an insult, and interjecting the time honoured words ... "Leave it, (insert name here] he's not worth it!" ... and dragging the offended warrior from the scene!

lol, what larks! :D

Ah, the good old days :)

Back in the 50s and 60s Sheffield men used to address each other as "love" it was just an expression, nothing more, and meant nothing other, but it was a source of extreme surprise and amusement to outsiders (non Sheffielders that is) and I'm sure it caused some problems when Sheffield "blokes" went elswhere. Who remembers that?

I still get it. Being reasonably young it disturbs me slightly

Archived