Men calling each other "love"

I used to work at a bookmakers in both football grounds in SHeffield (92-97), and we employed a lot of students, one day a young lady from Brighton who i was working with asked me how i knew so many people, when i said no i dont she said "why do people keep calling you luv then"

Back in the 50s and 60s Sheffield men used to address each other as "love" it was just an expression, nothing more, and meant nothing other, but it was a source of extreme surprise and amusement to outsiders (non Sheffielders that is) and I'm sure it caused some problems when Sheffield "blokes" went elswhere. Who remembers that?

In Barnsley its narden me ol **** or allreet **** etc

Back in the 50s and 60s Sheffield men used to address each other as "love" it was just an expression, nothing more, and meant nothing other, but it was a source of extreme surprise and amusement to outsiders (non Sheffielders that is) and I'm sure it caused some problems when Sheffield "blokes" went elswhere. Who remembers that?

Bus drivers still do it. Just makes me smile. Not something I would ever dream of saying, even to a women.

Both myself and my wife (born in the mid - late 40's) used it all the time.My job moved us up to Middlesbrough area in 1976 and we got into real trouble using "Luv" up here particularly if you let it slip out when talking to a man. My wife was a nurse and she had trouble at work for some years until she lost the habit of using it.

You may be interested to know that up in the north east they use the term "Pet" instead of "Luv".

Why did you get into trouble? That's seems a bit unreasonable. Do they call men 'pet' as well? I bet they don't. Do we have more equality between the sexes down here?

I'd rather be called 'love' than 'pet' ... someone calls me that at work and I do find it a bit irritating, but I realise he means nowt by it ... just a turn of phrase.

Archived