Men calling each other "love"

Why did you get into trouble? That's seems a bit unreasonable. Do they call men 'pet' as well? I bet they don't. Do we have more equality between the sexes down here?

I'd rather be called 'love' than 'pet' ... someone calls me that at work and I do find it a bit irritating, but I realise he means nowt by it ... just a turn of phrase.

Because in most places love is something only expressed between very close friends and family, not something you say to random members of the public.

Maybe trouble is too strong a word, but if you said it to people outside sheffield you'd get some very funny looks from them.

I say it all the time, and hear it all the time. When it stops and all terms of endearment are possible law suits is the day I destroy the world. :P

I say it all the time and hear it all the time too. These people who get even slightly irritated by it, I find most sad and should leave Sheffield Immediately.

These terms of endearment often relate to the local culture. When I lived in Newfoundland, an island off the east coast of Canada where fishing and hunting are a way of life, it was common to hear people address one another as "me old trout." Elderly gentlemen would be addressed as "skipper." Also, and this took more getting used to, men and women regardless of age are called "boy" and "girl." "how's she goin' boy?" meaning "'ow are tha' today, luv?"

I worked as a conductor on the trams around 1952 and it was normal to call everybody love. One time I was on late shift and the tram was full of drunks and merry makers and I said to one bloke, " 'As tha gorra ticket love " his eyes took on an icy stare and up comes his right hand and knocks all the coins out of my bag. " Don't you ever call me love " he growled in a Glasgow accent. " What's up wi thi " says I, trying to grab as many coins as i could from around peoples feet but realising it was hopeless I rang the bell and talked to the driver who stopped the tram and ordered everybody off. Luckily it was a warm summers day and they started singing, laughing and joking some sitting on the grass verge some fell asleep. The policeman turned up on his bike and asked me to collect the money but he was too late I already had checked it against the tickets sold and I was a penny short. The police sergeant shouted " The lads a penny short who's got it " a bloke shouted " Here it is ", and gave me a shilling and off we went to the Manor Top.

I've recently had to ring the Banking Code of Practice in London and addressed the girl on the other end of the phone as "love" and she snapped "I'm not love". They're not anything in London by all accounts.

Ah 'owd fellah is from Devon and though it was a bit strange to be called "Love" by blokes, but 30 + years at firth Browns and he was at it. Ah lass is from Holland and thinks it's brilliant. She thinks it's really friendly.

Like Aryan says, if it offends you, get a life, preferably out of the city. There are lots more nasties in this world than a man calling a stranger love.

Archived