Men calling each other "love"

Because in most places love is something only expressed between very close friends and family, not something you say to random members of the public.

Maybe trouble is too strong a word, but if you said it to people outside sheffield you'd get some very funny looks from them.

As I've said before on local threads, 'luv' is a meaningless word in the context used in Sheffield, it's just a way of saying 'sir' or 'madam' really. I'd be upset if the best my nearest and dearest could find to call me was 'luv', quite honestly. It's not really a word used for anything other than random strangers. :D If people don't like it, well they know where to go, don't they?:P

Just in regard to your last comment, people outside Sheffield say some strange things too, 'treacle' 'pet' 'hen' 'duck' 'flower' the list is endless. If we all gave trouble everytime we were addressed by an 'endearment' we'd be constantly in the wars.

rogG,

Did you live in PEI before the bridge was built?

No, I arrived in July '97 two months after the bridge was opened. For the benefit of others who don't know what the "bridge" is, it's a 13km free standing structure that connects PEI to the mainland in New Brunswick. It takes 12 min to cross it by car. It costs nothing to cross from NB to PEI but to get off the island you pay $45 per car, which would be abt 20 pounds.

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75064650@N00/1001056570/

And:

When my wife and I were on PEI we crossed by ferry there were two, one to New Brunswick and the other to Nova Scotia. We had a 24 foot Allegro motorhome and used to tour the eastern provinces of Canada every summer for 4 years then we discovered St Andrews in New Brunswick and stayed there all summer by the Bay of Fundy. For golf fans St Andrews like its counterpart in Fife, Scotland has a magnificent course and a beautiful hotel called the Algonquin. Try a holiday there and you'll not be disappointed.

When my wife and I were on PEI we crossed by ferry there were two, one to New Brunswick and the other to Nova Scotia. We had a 24 foot Allegro motorhome and used to tour the eastern provinces of Canada every summer for 4 years then we discovered St Andrews in New Brunswick and stayed there all summer by the Bay of Fundy. For golf fans St Andrews like its counterpart in Fife, Scotland has a magnificent course and a beautiful hotel called the Algonquin. Try a holiday there and you'll not be disappointed.

Scuse me luv we've moved away from Sheffield a bit:hihi::hihi:

I live in Leicestershire and it was bloody hard work to suppress my habit of calling blokes Love.

When Im drunk though I forget and it gets a bit dodgy at times and getting the bus or taxi and saying "Copt Oak, please love" ... god I shudder to think about it.

I managed to change the word Love to " Me owd" and that seems to get me by without too many slappings.

• 2 weeks later...
I worked as a conductor on the trams around 1952 and it was normal to call everybody love. One time I was on late shift and the tram was full of drunks and merry makers and I said to one bloke, " 'As tha gorra ticket love " his eyes took on an icy stare and up comes his right hand and knocks all the coins out of my bag. " Don't you ever call me love " he growled in a Glasgow accent. " What's up wi thi " says I, trying to grab as many coins as i could from around peoples feet but realising it was hopeless I rang the bell and talked to the driver who stopped the tram and ordered everybody off. Luckily it was a warm summers day and they started singing, laughing and joking some sitting on the grass verge some fell asleep. The policeman turned up on his bike and asked me to collect the money but he was too late I already had checked it against the tickets sold and I was a penny short. The police sergeant shouted " The lads a penny short who's got it " a bloke shouted " Here it is ", and gave me a shilling and off we went to the Manor Top.

Dad married mum in 1957, he came from Aden to work in the Steel mills (Brown Bailey's) He learnt the term 'luv' very quickly, every one was 'luv' - who needed names? The reason I'm posting this remembrance is that dad told me of meeting his brother-in-law for the first time in Edinburgh (Scottish connection re your Glaswegian). Dad called him 'luv' shortly after meeting him - he was told in no uncertain terms what would happen to him if he ever called it him again!! Can only think that he was a bit touchy being a sailor?

I live in Leicestershire and it was bloody hard work to suppress my habit of calling blokes Love.

When Im drunk though I forget and it gets a bit dodgy at times and getting the bus or taxi and saying "Copt Oak, please love" ... god I shudder to think about it.

I managed to change the word Love to " Me owd" and that seems to get me by without too many slappings.

Hi Jabberwocky, Can't send you a PM as your box is full.

I see you live in Leicestershire.

I am trying to find someone who is involved in family history who can access me the Parish Records for Newtown Linford which are held in Leicester Records Office. I am trying to find the birth of an Edward Wells born around 1853 .

In the census for place of birth Edward simply wrote Newtown so its possible its Newtown Harcourt as I see that is in Leicetershire too. Newtown Linford is the most likely though I think.

Are you able to help at all or know someone who can?

Regards, John

The first time I realised that the term 'luv' wasn't worldwide, or at least UK wide, was when I worked at my first holiday camp in 1969. It was Butlins in Pwllheli, North Wales.I was working as a barman and called this miner luv and he said, 'call me luv once more boyo, and I'll knock you through that b****y wall'. Nearly forty years on and living in the states for almost 25 years, I still call women luv and 99% like it and call it me back. As the memory for names is not as it was I find this very helpful when I can't remember someones name. I also call most of the guys I come into contact with 'mate' which usually starts a conversation beginning with 'what part of Australia are you from?'

Archived