Hillsborough Disaster

Spoons

Hi all,

Hope you can help me.

I am the news editor of Century Radio in the North West of England and am currently working on a documentary timed to co-incide with the up-coming twentieth anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

A little about me - I'm a Sheffield lad who vividly remembers hearing the disaster unfolding on the radio that Saturday afternoon in 1989. In the following days, a friend and I went to the stadium to lay flowers in tribute.

I know this is always a difficult subject, but it is one that my station has a duty to reflect - which is why I am already looking at how this will be covered.

What I am particularly keen to represent is the effect the disaster had on Sheffield (something that I feel is sometimes forgotten). To this end, I am hoping to speak to nurses and doctors who worked at the hospitals, reporters, Sheffielders who opened their doors to Liverpool families, police officers, ambulance drivers etc, etc.

I dare say there will be a fair few members of this forum who were involved on 15th April 1989 or who know someone who was.

If you fit into this category - could you please drop me an email or PM me?

christian.spooner@gmgradio.com

Your contact will be totally confidential. I've already PM'd some members of this forum - and some have already kindly offered help.

I hope you understand the reason for me posting here - it's so I can try and make contact with people who have stories to tell who haven't previously come forward.

Thanks all for your time! And apols for the long email.

Christian

Hello Spoons. There have already been many posts on the Sheffield Forum about the disaster and they all get closed by the moderators.

Hi Sheffy. I know - I'm not really wanting to open the blame debate on here -which always prompts a heated discussion.

It's more a 'big-up' to Sheffield and the people who helped in such tragic circumstances. A couple of people have already been in touch and I'm very grateful for their help so far.

Spoons

good luck with the project Spoons :thumbsup:

I know my uncles were very grateful to those people who opened their doors and let bewildered fans phone their families to say they were okay that day

Sheffield seems to have mixed reactions to the whole thing. Something which I find a bit odd as a Scouser :?

Hi Sheffy. I know - I'm not really wanting to open the blame debate on here -which always prompts a heated discussion.

It's more a 'big-up' to Sheffield and the people who helped in such tragic circumstances. A couple of people have already been in touch and I'm very grateful for their help so far.

Spoons

It’s so good to learn that Liverpool is home to at least one optimist. However, I’d be surprised if you manage to keep any Liverpool fans you may invited to your discussion, from turning the whole big-up for Sheffield idea into a slanging match.

It’s so good to learn that Liverpool is home to at least one optimist. However, I’d be surprised if you manage to keep any Liverpool fans you may invited to your discussion, from turning the whole big-up for Sheffield idea into a slanging match.

Riiiiigghhhhttt - how is anybody supposed to read that then? :suspect:

Hi all,

Hope you can help me.

I am the news editor of Century Radio in the North West of England and am currently working on a documentary timed to co-incide with the up-coming twentieth anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

A little about me - I'm a Sheffield lad who vividly remembers hearing the disaster unfolding on the radio that Saturday afternoon in 1989. In the following days, a friend and I went to the stadium to lay flowers in tribute.

I know this is always a difficult subject, but it is one that my station has a duty to reflect - which is why I am already looking at how this will be covered.

What I am particularly keen to represent is the effect the disaster had on Sheffield (something that I feel is sometimes forgotten). To this end, I am hoping to speak to nurses and doctors who worked at the hospitals, reporters, Sheffielders who opened their doors to Liverpool families, police officers, ambulance drivers etc, etc.

I dare say there will be a fair few members of this forum who were involved on 15th April 1989 or who know someone who was.

If you fit into this category - could you please drop me an email or PM me?

christian.spooner@gmgradio.com

Your contact will be totally confidential. I've already PM'd some members of this forum - and some have already kindly offered help.

I hope you understand the reason for me posting here - it's so I can try and make contact with people who have stories to tell who haven't previously come forward.

Thanks all for your time! And apols for the long email.

Christian

Can you not leave this alone it has been revisited again and again so why not leave it where it is. There are wounds that do not need opening, leave the those who were affected in peace

Can you not leave this alone it has been revisited again and again so why not leave it where it is. There are wounds that do not need opening, leave the those who were affected in peace

Hi Sandie,

I appreciate you replying to the topic. I totally understand your standpoint - and as I explained in my opening post, I am acutely aware of the emotion of this tragedy and the heartache it has caused.

But I hope you also understand that it is an issue my radio station cannot ignore. It affected so many of our listeners and whether we like it or not, there will be significant coverage of this next year - nationally and indeed locally.

I would much rather the tragedy had never happened. However, it did and I am now keen to produce a considered tribute piece... rather than hastily throw something together at the last minute... something which is an injustice to the memories of those who needlessly lost their lives.

If you speak to many of the members of the Hillsborough campaigns, they agree the tragedy must never be forgotten. The reason I am doing this now is so I don't have to bother people affected deeply by the tragedy on the eve of what will be a difficult anniversary. Contrary to popular belief, some journalists do care about the people they interview :)

Thanks for posting again.

Christian

I think this project is a fantastic one!

this event has been the subject of much heated debate, and has attracted quite alot of scathing comments in the past - mostly from people who weren't actually involved

it would be a fitting tribute for the experiences of those on the other side of that fence to be aired. It would dissipate some of the intense focus on the negative aspects of that day

Archived