British Rail goods yard fire, 1966

Can anyone remember the fire at the bottom of spital hill

I've got sketchy memories of it. There was a tunnel linking the spital hill goods station to the Verdon St / Denholme Close area.

Local lads used to go down there and explore the place, me and a few friends once got as far as the Spital Hill end of the tunnel but thought we saw someone so we scarpered. I heard that doors got forced open and stuff thrown about, the next thing I remember is it being on fire. Whether or not it had anything to do with the local lads I don't know. I remember the tales of the tunnel having rats the size of small dogs, being haunted etc.

OK while on the subject of fires there were the two in fitzallen sq wigfalls and the classic picture palace

I was working in Hallam telephone exchange the day the classic burnt down - the 999 system reached capacity as everyone thought they were the first to call the fire brigade from every phone box in Fitzalan square! :rolleyes:

Can anyone remember the fire at the bottom of spital hill

I think it was around 1966. Two lads (I don't want to name them on here) started a small fire at the old rail depot near the Wembley playground on Oborne St. Then they walked through the Firery Jack tunnel to the Wicker goods yard, and the rest is history.

Your spot on Col , The fire was started during the six week school holidays we used to go down the Firey Jack to the ghost town as we called it.It was weird everything was just left but with no people there. we used to swing across the train platforms on massive ropes it was like butlins for us kids.

go on, give us a clue to who you are. I must know you

it was'nt me that had anything to do with the fire by the way i'm a good lad me. but i know the lad that did. burngreave school then herries for the last 2 years its all in the name .do i know you?

it was'nt me that had anything to do with the fire by the way i'm a good lad me. but i know the lad that did. burngreave school then herries for the last 2 years its all in the name .do i know you?

cant think who you are but according to your answer we know each other.

my initials, J L

hi

did you used to go drinking down gower st 70s/80s is it John Lom--

My initials M B

No i'm not john lom--. I'm Jeff L-----t.

M B are you Mick Bar---.

Yep I have had a drink in all the pubs in pitsmoor; grapes, robin hood, tea gardens, normanton, hallcar, carlisle etc.

Ellesmere, Burngreave and Hinde House schools.

Lived on edgar street then lyons street.

Knocked about with wagstaffe, timmins, johnson, downward, wild, topham,sanderson, thornhill.

More clues as to who you are, please

Archived