Have you still got the Accent?

StJohn

I've been out of Sheffield since 1991, and have lived in the States for 10 years. Every one here says I have a British accent, But I noticed my kids have a hard time understanding thier grandparents on the phone and when I go home my mates laugh at some of the words I use and someone in a pub actually refered to me as a "Bloody southerner". It usually takes me about a week to get back into the swing of things. Then when I get back here for about a week or two people will say "What did you say?" when I talk to them.

StJohn

StJohn I've lived in Canada almost 35 yrs and I'm in the same boat as you. When I go home they think I'm putting on an accent, then back here they think I've just stepped off the plane. Even though people say I haven't lost my accent, these days I have a hard time understanding them on Coronation St. So in answer to your question, no I guess I haven't lost my accent.

I've been out of Sheffield since 1991, and have lived in the States for 10 years. Every one here says I have a British accent, But I noticed my kids have a hard time understanding thier grandparents on the phone and when I go home my mates laugh at some of the words I use and someone in a pub actually refered to me as a "Bloody southerner". It usually takes me about a week to get back into the swing of things. Then when I get back here for about a week or two people will say "What did you say?" when I talk to them.

StJohn

I've lived in the States about 40 odd years now, everyone here hears my yorkshire accent, they say it's still there, but when I go back to Sheffield to visit my family thinks I speak American :huh: I don't hear it at all, in fact my Yorkshire accent gets even stronger (I think) after being back in Sheffield just a few days.

Even listening to my answer machine I don't hear a trace of an American accent one bit, but a Brit would :huh:

Im in Leicestershire and although my OH and her family dont think I have much of an accent anyway, I still notice the differences between my accent and the Leics one.

Ive been here since 2002 and Im losing what bit of accent I had, Im not speaking in a leic accent though, I just appear to be becoming more slack with my words.

for instance, Instead of saying "Weather" Im catching myself saying "Wevver" so its more of a case of turning into a chav rather than a Leicester lad.

I'm like Joto. Been over in Canada 39 years. When I go over to UK people think I'm "from America," as the distinction between Canada and the US is blurred among the folk I know in Sheffield. Over here, people immediately recognize my accent as British. Then they ask where I come from. When I say Sheffield, they'll say something like: "I know somebody in Manchester. Her name's Aggie Bloggins." Like I might know her?

I have lived up north since i was 6 and still haven't lost my southern accent but my sister who has lived down south all her life says my accent has some sheffield isums!!

Are you from darn sarf, teeny? I never noticed that! :o Maybe because I lived down south for a long time I only really notice it when someome is definitely Estuary and can't pronounce their words correctly, a generalised southern accent must just wash over me!

Archived