Have you still got the Accent?

StJohn

Im in Leicestershire and although my OH and her family dont think I have much of an accent anyway, I still notice the differences between my accent and the Leics one.

Ive been here since 2002 and Im losing what bit of accent I had, Im not speaking in a leic accent though, I just appear to be becoming more slack with my words.

for instance, Instead of saying "Weather" Im catching myself saying "Wevver" so its more of a case of turning into a chav rather than a Leicester lad.

born in Sheffield moved to L:thumbsup::thumbsup:eicester at the of 11 in 1946, been in Canada 40 yrs & I still get O and what part of Yorkshire are you from

I didn't so much lose my Sheff accent as get rid of it.I arrived in Japan in'71 with just 17 quid and I needed a job in a hurry.The only work going was English teaching and there was no way I could get a job with my real accent so I had to standardise it a bit.As regards the foreign community here, everybody realises that I'm a Brit and a lot of the Brits realise I'm northern but can't tell exactly where I'm from.My vocab is definitely American though as is the vocab of most long term Brits here,mostly because there are so many American words used in the Japanese language.Gasoline,elevator etc.The only words the Brits hang onto are 'knickers'(woe betide anyone who uses the P word) and the part of the body covered by knickers which,of course,we pronounce to rhyme with 'farce' rather than 'pass'.In the UK I have been taken for North American but the only comments I ever get are when I'm in Sheffield where,at various times, I've been described as posh,lah di dah,foreign or talkin like a bleedin' news reader.As my American friends would say,'Go figure!'.

I have lived in Cyprus for 20 years. I work in the travel industry amd many of my customers ask me where in Yorkshire I come from.

The best thing is my Cypriot Partner speaks english with a Sheffield accent

Carol

Lived in OZ for 35 years & still have my Yorkshire accent. When visiting the UK I had a bit of trouble with getting the money right as our20 cent coin is the same as the 10 pence & I kept giving everyone the wrong money which was quite embarrassing because with my accent they didnt know I have not lived in the UK for 35 years. Durex has a totally different meaning in OZ as well ....ask any pommy who now lives in OZ

My Oh informed me that although my accent is going, when Im on the phone to someone from Sheffield, it returns with a vengeance and she can barely understand what Im saying.

Odd really when she says tthat I didnt have much of an accent to begin with, I wish she`d make up her mind.

I've only moved about 60 miles but the locals sometimes don't understand what I'm saying, and vice-versa. It isn't so much the accent as different words - here in Lincolnshire a "gennel" is a "snicket", "tranklements" are "kelter", "clumsy" is "unepp'n", "to hurt" is "to come sharp" etc. etc. So sometimes I'm "smockraffled" or "cross 'oppled" (that means "baffled").

Been in New Zealand for fifty years and still called a Pom,and proud of that, but horrors of horrors, when I'm back in Sheffield they say i sound like an Aussie,(yuk) lol.

Archived