Have you still got the Accent?

StJohn

I lived in South Africa for five years and had to alter my accent - just to make myself understood - although I still had the p*** taken for my "northern" vowels.

When I got back to Sheffield and heard the Sheffield accent again I cracked-up because it sounded so funny.

I never spoke like a South African but you can't help picking up words like mulk = milk, mealies = sweetcorn, braai = barbecue, bio(scope) = pictures (movies) and many more. I also picked up a few scouse words, as many of my mates out there were from Liverpool.

Ditto Flyer..been In Ontario Since 1965, But Always A Yorkshire Lass At Heart!

thats the year I came over on the "Arcadia"could you've been that pretty girl sitting at the next dinner table?:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I lived/worked on Merseyside 1978-1994. Friends and work mates thought I had a Yorkshire accent yet when I met up with old mates in the York, Broomhill in 1985 they accused me of having a scouse accent. As I worked in the Thames Valley and Devon in the 60's the Sheffield accent did get toned down a bit and is now quite a mild version. I do notice, however, that when I meet up with the Sheffield crowd at the races, my Yorkshire accent comes back in all its glory as I tend to mimic those around me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm like Joto. Been over in Canada 39 years. When I go over to UK people think I'm "from America," as the distinction between Canada and the US is blurred among the folk I know in Sheffield. Over here, people immediately recognize my accent as British. Then they ask where I come from. When I say Sheffield, they'll say something like: "I know somebody in Manchester. Her name's Aggie Bloggins." Like I might know her?

Brits can't tell the difference between an American and Canadian accent, they think it's all the same country too :hihi:

I am from Sheffield. I was once on an Engineering course down in Southsea, with group of people from all over the UK - Manchester, Liverpool ( Scouser ), two from Wales ( North & South ), Bradford, Leeds, Newcastle ( Geordie ), Glasgow, Middlesborough, London ( Strong Cockney accent ), Belfast, etc., etc.

Amazingly the only one I couldn't understand was the guy from Bradford !!! A 'Fellow Tyke' !!

GLOS

Brits can't tell the difference between an American and Canadian accent, they think it's all the same country too :hihi:

You probably know the difference though poppins.

The Candians pronounce words like "House" and "About" as "Hoose" and "aboot" and finish every sentence with "eh" otherwise there's not that much difference but the Nova Scotian accent sounds a bit Irish.

I've lived in the US for 43 years but the Yorkshire is still there although I use American words a lot. My wife says I still talk like "a bloody Limey" anyway.

When I was serving with the US Marines there was a platoon sergeant in my company who was from London with a very strong cockney accent. Apart from myself and another bloke from Carlisle none of the other grunts could barely understand a word he said when he spoke in his normal way. However this sergeant could put on a flawless American accent with a slighlt southern touch and he spoke like this whenever he had to brief the platoon or address them in military matters.

He told me that he had inherited this "gift" (for want of another word) from his dad who had been a comedian in the old music halls.

Archived