Looking for family of Samuel Squires died march 1949

smile:my dad who died march 1949 had a sister who died i think in the early fifties named theresa but i do think he also had some brothers i was only a tiny baby when he died but would be so grateful for any information at all i must have some cousins out there

• 2 weeks later...
smile:my dad who died march 1949 had a sister who died i think in the early fifties named theresa but i do think he also had some brothers i was only a tiny baby when he died but would be so grateful for any information at all i must have some cousins out there

Hi sueblou,

I have found some info but without more detail its a little difficult. Here goes

Your dad was born Samual Squires in the 1st quarter of 1911 and died as you know aged 38 in the first quarter of 1949. Prior to 1912 the birth indexes do not give the mothers maiden name but buying his birth certificate would help....however on viewing the original record the reference number of his birth is practically illegible...so its a difficult one.

Theresa Mary Squires was born in the last quarter of 1902 and the reference number for her birth certificate is fine so that would give you the details about her (and your dads) mother and father.

Theresa married Arthur Coleman in the second quarter of 1925... she went on to have Irene Coleman in 1926 and Arthur Coleman in 1930. Obviously i don't know if either of these are still alive but it is likely that they may have had children who could know a little more...

Theresa died in the second quarter of 1951 aged 49.

Not sure where you might go next in terms of trying to find more siblings. Knowing Sam and Theresa's mums maiden name and their dads forename would be helpful but even then for any born prior to 1912 I am not sure how you would identify them

Perhaps someone on here could give advice.. maybe if we had the name of mum and dad parish registers might help??

I do know that after a quick glance of FreeBMD at least 20 children with the sir name Squires were born in Sheffield between the turn of the century and 1912 when issuing maiden names became commomplace.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but it might just get you Started.

regards

Devlin

Without ordering certificates stating specifically parents details which could be a very costly process the only simple way of finding out other sibling is to wait for the 1911 census to be released in 2012. If Theresa was born in 1902 & Samuel in 1911 the chances are there will be other sibling in between. Do you have the birth certificate for Samuel?? naming his parents? Theresa may not be the eldest thus meaning they may be on 1901 census with other siblings.

Speculation...

In the 1901 census index in Sheffield there are about 6 SQUIRES families of an age to be having children 1902/1911. Maybe Theresa is named after her mother:

1901 Civil Parish: Sheffield (Index only)

James Squires 33 Gas Labourer Yorks Bughton (? Aughton?)

Teresa Squires 23 Derbys Hathersage

Wm Hry Squires 4 Derbys Bamford

George Squires 1 Derbys Derwent

This Teresa's maiden name was WIGGETT. Her mother was Mary (from the 1881 census in Hathersage). So Theresa Mary would have two family names.

This couple were still having children after 1912, including twins:

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1914

SQUIRES Charles (WIGGETT) Sheffield 9c 1146

SQUIRES Margaret A (WIGGETT) Sheffield 9c 1146

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1917

SQUIRES Mary L (WIGGETT) Sheffield 9c 900

Do these names ring any family bells?

Hugh

Finding ancestors is often easier than finding descendants, but looking on findmypast.com, the index for the first quarter of 1911 shows Samuel's birth in Sheffield, with the Volume No 9c and Page No 587. With this information it should be possible to obtain a birth certificate for £7, either from the Sheffield Register Office (back of the Town Hall) or by applying on-line to http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/. For this you need to register as a user, then certificates can be ordered and paid for by credit/debit card. In my experience the on-line ordering system works very well. As has been said, the birth certificate will give Samuel's mother's maiden name.

Looking in the marriage indexes, a Samuel Squires married a Marjorie L. Harrison in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1933 (Vol. 9c, Page 1493) - this could perhaps be the right person.

a great big thanks to all who have looked for information regarding samuel squires and yes he married marjorie lilian harrison my mum please if you come across any thing else i would be very interested to know once again thanks

i,m finding it a bit difficult because mum didn,t talk about dads family at all when i was old enough to ask it was too late she couldn,t remember she,d been ostracised from his family as a threat to his brothers wives at least thats the way i remember it

Archived