Important question that needs answering...

If a cow/sheep spends most of it's time on a hill with it's right hand side facing down hill would it's right legs be longer than the ones on the left? Or vice versa if it spends most of it's time facing the other way?

Discuss... how do sheep and cows stop rolling down hills? Is the above true or is there one massive farming conspiracy behind this... such as animal stilts? :?

You really do need to get out more.

I do get out quite often, but this thought came to me whilst I was asleep and I awoke as a result. I immediately went online and googled this thought, but to no avail. Surely, you guys know the answer?

Having discussed this with a reclusive welsh farmer, he assures me that he grazes his sheep on opposite sides of the mountain every week, to ensure limb growth is consistent. Apparently he also lhas several pairs of different sized heeled shoes for each sheep, to make up for any discrepancies.. or so he told me.

If a cow/sheep spends most of it's time on a hill with it's right hand side facing down hill would it's right legs be longer than the ones on the left? Or vice versa if it spends most of it's time facing the other way?

Discuss... how do sheep and cows stop rolling down hills? Is the above true or is there one massive farming conspiracy behind this... such as animal stilts? :?

They chop the excess off the leg whenever the sheep goes for shearing, so EU laws still allow the symmetrical appearance of a sheep to continue, otherwise the sheep is deemed unfit for consumption.

The excess is then packaged up and marketed as "Curn", an alternative to Quorn and found in most cheap supermarkets.

Surely the animal would naturally face forwards when standing on a slope? Think of it in terms of physics. Tipping a cow over from the side would require much less of a turning moment than tipping it from the back or front. The cow could therefore stand on a greater incline if it was facing forwards than facing to the side.

Surely the animal would naturally face forwards when standing on a slope? Think of it in terms of physics.

It would make sense, but they (sheep, at least) often do stand sideways on steep hills. They must have some mechanism that allows them to balance.

Cows cannot, indeed, graze on slopes as steep as a sheep would happily manage, probably because of the physics you mention.

Archived