Rude shop assistants

As an ex-employee of Dixons Stores Group (Freeserve, don't hold it against me) I can definitately agree they are on the whole a shower of folks of dubious parentage.

My favourite from whilst I was there there was a poor chaps experiences in Dixons, Leeds. I can't remember it all but my fave bit is that after some time the customer demanded to see the manager. The assistant genuinely asked said customer if he would like to see the manager now or would he like to wait for an hour ???!!! :lol:

I've just got myself a job as a shop assistant. It's only to get me a bit of money and to prove I've not lived off my parent's until I'm 18. Its sort of hard for me because I missed all the training, but as I did my work experience there I can kind of remember what I'm supposed to be doing lol!

I find the tills especially hard. I've never used one before and being trained with them on the job is hard! I've been told it'll be second nature to me soon enough, but right now it's difficult!

Where I work we have to have several interactions with the customer. And as I'm new, all the senior staff are watching me to make sure I reapproach customers. It isn't helpful when they've got a mood on! If I'm not seen to be going back on the reapproach because I've had my head snapped off, I get it in the neck from the staff who's watching me.

Grrr!

I'd advise anyone I know to keep away from the Dixons group. I have personally had trouble with them on numerous occasions and am also aware of many other people who have also suffered problems. I don't like the fact that they are eager to push any problems across to the manufacturers. They also use common ploy's like stating that they are just the manufacturers agents which is rubbish, my contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer. They basically don't want to know and co-operate very little. To add to this I get sick and tired of staffs sales patter "would you like to buy a 5 year guarantee?" There's no such thing as a bought guarantee.

Dixons are on my never to shop there list - poor service and poor value for money.

I went to a shop called gamers or something like that today and I saw a product for sale at £34.95 with a sticker saying guarrenteed lowest price. Yet, HMV 2 mins walk away it was retailing at £29.99.

That can't be right.

I realise of course that shop assistants, bank clerks,council workers etc. do have to deal with very awkward customers at times, and for that reason I always have a joke with them If I see they are receptive, I usually leave them with a smile on their face and they appreciate it. As when I leave, they always say thank you and goodbye, it is just these nasty buggers that I CANNOT STAND.

Yeah it's always nice when someone makes an effort to be nice to you. Even when I've just dealt with the customer from hell I have to pick myself up and be nice to the next one and the one after that...

It's really nice if you go out of your way to be nice to someone, they are at least pleasent back to you!

Shop assistants can be a pain, but my mum manages a shop so I hear both sides of the story.

I once took a jumper back to Next which didn't fit me after I'd washed it. Instructions were hand wash and although nowadays I do stick everything in the washer, in those days I really took care of my clothes so i did hand wash it.

As it was bought in a sale, I thought that it had probably been stretched by previous people trying it on. However the manager said he wouldn't take it back, nobody else had returned one, and he could "smell" that it had been machine washed!!!!!!!! What a remarkable sense of smell he must have had

Anyway sent it off to Customer Relations, they tested it and lo and behold I got my cash back.

That was about 8 years ago and I've never ventured in Next again.

To be fair, these people work for minimum wage or slightly above, and most do it as a means to supporting their education, e.g. Uni students, part time hours. They have to take a lot of cr*p from customers as they are the first line, and very often problems aren't their fault, so sometimes you can't blame them for poor customer service. Blame the companies who pay peanuts for such jobs. If they offered more then they'd get more than just broke uni students applying for temporary part time positions.

Archived