Unusual Nickname: Daige. Where does it come from?

My grandad aquired the nickname Daige (could be a different spelling), the nickname has nio connection to either his first name or his surname.

He was a Sheffielder through and through working in the steel works and mines, the origins of this nickname are a mystery to all of our family, does anyone have any ideas.

I could be wrong but, I believe in Gaelic it means "pistol", it's also an Irish surname.

Could your relative have Irish connections? Sometimes if workmates etc. pick up on something then a nickname stays with them for life! My husband's father had once mentioned emigrating to Australia and, in consequence, my husband was known throughout his schooldays as Cobber and most kids had no idea why, they just called it him.

Duffems.

Does anyone remember Canada Joe who lived on Attercliffe in the 60s? The only thing I know about him is hat he never went to Canada!!!!!

Just as my husband never went to Australia but, he was known for years as Cobber!

Sorry, I don't know your Canada Joe.

Duffems

I could be wrong but, I believe in Gaelic it means "pistol", it's also an Irish surname.

Could your relative have Irish connections? Sometimes if workmates etc. pick up on something then a nickname stays with them for life! My husband's father had once mentioned emigrating to Australia and, in consequence, my husband was known throughout his schooldays as Cobber and most kids had no idea why, they just called it him.

Duffems.

No Irish connections as far as we are aware

It could be possible that you have the incorrect spelling of the name though I have no suggestions how to spell it another way. Presumably this is how it's pronounced?

Duffems

Duffems

I have also found mention of it spelt Dagge, but again no conection.

Archived