Pubs of yesteryear Pitsmoor

i was born on marshal street, we had a sweet shop[fowlers] there was a pub at the bottom known locally as the bottom but i think it was called the salutation inn an had a picture of a guard saluting on it., i also remember the loco club, we went there for years after we left pitsmoor, i always went on the trip to cleethorpes with my brother.

just another note,do you know that jeff and pete stringfellow lived there, they were older than me but went to school with my sister and brother. many years later i went for a job at the downtown bar and they remembered me even though i was only about 4 when we left.

The pubs I remember in Pitsmoor are where we did our early years drinking

The Alexander on Carlisle St/Corner Pin & Carwood/Crown at the bottom of Harleston Street/Carlisle Hotel/Norfolk arms/ Grapes & Gower/Royal Oak/Staffordshire & Guards Rest

• 3 months later...

Hello Billhaley, I used to knock around with David Blockley I was born on Haywood Road but my grandma lived at 131 Woodside Lane opposite the jenel down to Haywood Road I went to Woodside and Burngreave Girls School. Yes there was a house at the top of Fowler Street just below Ibbersons the butchers they turned their front room into an eatery, it started off with pea and pies and chips, then the chinese chap bought it he was called Chin Hong he cooked in the cellar kitchen, he later moved to London Road at the junction of Abbeydale Road that's when he became Lin Hong. Mrs.Denial off Fowler Street used to serve in the house shop. I was born in 1942 and didn't leave till the 'slum clearance' still miss it they were such happy times nobody had owt but it didn't matter cause we were all the same. I used to go out with a lad off Fowler Street call Judd Fielding. Hope you reply.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Is the Limes Club and Institute still in operation?

srry i'm afraid the limes club donkeys years ago, my paarents used to go inthere with some friends. but unfortunatly the club closed stood empty for a couple of years before being razed to the ground and nurnsing home about ten yrs ago, gone the way of many pubs and clubs, now who would ever think that the dial house would end up closing, one of the best 4 o5 clubs in sheffield, like the woodseats club the healley club one of the top 3 clubs on city rd i think theres only the arundel, the park and arbouthone left up there now sheffields a much sadder place for the loss of famous pubs and clubs around even the shiregreen that hosted the setting for the world famous the full monty enough to make you cry all we have now are pubs up and down, west street, and eccy rd that cater only for the young some times very young their the ones with lots of money these days who seem to live just to get as drunk as they can in a shorter time as they can well who knows like the old saying what goes around comes around or is that misguided views x