Pubs of yesteryear Pitsmoor

I think it got closed down recently, dont know if its reopened/going to reopen.
yes it's opened most of it 's trade comes from the curry houses now though ,they send jugs over for lager for their customers ,brian has it now and i think trade is so bad he doesnt open until 6 pm

[quote=john

Are these really in Pitsmoor though.?..Think more Burngreave Ellesmere area than Pitsmoor.!

In the 40's, 50's and 60's, Pitsmoor covered a large area, the border at that time was from around the toll gate [barnsley Rd / Rutland road] to Carlisle st, and from Nursery st to just past Carwood Rd on Petre st, so the Hallcar, Corner Pin and Carwood were in Pitsmoor too.

The areas of Burngreave, Ellesmere and others were named sometime after 1970 after we left the area, we lived on the corner of Carwood Rd & Petre St, Which was Pitsmoor, Sheff 4 at the time, it's now evidently Ellesmere.

There was a pub on the corner of Ditchingham Road and Grimesthorpe Road before the clearances. Can anyone remember what it was called? Just to settle an argument, thanks :)

It was the Buckingham Arms it was run by Charlie and Shirley Bean for years later their son Darren was the landlord of the Gower Arms happy days

was it the buckingham.pub .. yes it was i am sure ..:huh:

It was the Buckingham Arms it was run by Charlie and Shirley Bean for years later their son Darren was the landlord of the Gower Arms happy days
Thanks guys. I was half-wrong, I thought it was the Ditchingham Arms :confused:. My paternal grandmother had a business on the opposite corner in the 50s/60s. It was a hair salon called The Crest.

My father sometimes called in there with his brothers when we went to visit her.

She worked there with her Mum (cant remember her name) and a big girl called Susan (sue). I remember seeing her announcement in the Star, and was really shocked, she was so young....... I remember going to her house for tea, she lived in some maisonettes up the side of the Bay Horse pub at Pitsmoor. As you said, always smiling and good for a laugh.

My mum Lily is still doing fine usual ailments. Yes Lynne was only 43 when she past away ,She had not been in the best of health for a few years pryer but never let that stop her from having a laugh. I think your right with Sue her good friend for years

I remember a "hole in the wall" near the Wicker ?

Yes the hole in the wall was near the Wicker arches. I dont know whether its still standing though. It had a mural of what you would see if there was a hole in the wall looking towards the river,I dont know what the pub was origanally called?

Yes the hole in the wall was near the Wicker arches. I dont know whether its still standing though. It had a mural of what you would see if there was a hole in the wall looking towards the river,I dont know what the pub was origanally called?

the hole in the wall as gone.