Recommendation wanted

smiffy

Some friends are staying in Duffield, near Belper next week; I'm in Hillsborough. We'd like to meet up some between the two on Tuesday.

Can anyone recommend a nice pub (which does food) or restaurant? A colleague thought there was somewhere in Higham but can't remember the name. I've have good food in the Pump at Barlow so we could end up there, but any suggestions for somewhere different will be very welcome.

Some friends are staying in Duffield, near Belper next week; I'm in Hillsborough. We'd like to meet up some between the two on Tuesday.

Can anyone recommend a nice pub (which does food) or restaurant? A colleague thought there was somewhere in Higham but can't remember the name. I've have good food in the Pump at Barlow so we could end up there, but any suggestions for somewhere different will be very welcome.

Well, you are a long, long way apart aren't you? The most central point would probably be Chesterfield - and yes, The Pump at Barlow isn't bad. I think the food at Coach and Horses Dronfield is far better though. If you insist on meeting halfway then that would be as good a bet as any I reckon.

If you are willing to go a bit further then you could venture out towards Bakewell and Chatsworth. Devonshire Arms at Beeley, Nr Chatsworth is really one of the very best places in this area and you don't need to book. You've got Rowley's at Baslow which would be worth considering too - it's owned by Fischers of Baslow and the food is good gastro pub and it's quite hip and trendy. Or you could meet up at the Lathkilldale Inn near (at top of Lathkill Dale which is nice, or the Bowling Green at Winster.

Or get them to take the motorway up to J29 and go to the Hardwick Inn near Hardwick Hall (don't know what the food is like thesedays but it used to be ok).

Really, the best bet is for you to venture out into Derbyshire to meet them. Duffield is a long way south from here - it's almost in Derby. There was a very good pub on the A6 not far from Duffield called the holly bush at Makeney - that would be worth a try as well, but don't know what the food is like.

Archived