How to find when family member died

pressy

How do I go about finding out when my GreatGran died. I know it was somewhere around 1970 & she lived on Petre Street at the time.... thats all I know. I have asked my mum but she is none the wiser.

Thanks

Freebmd doesn't cover deaths since 1929. Try the Electoral Roll at the Local Studies. That will give you some idea when she died. This will help looking at the Register at the Register Office.

If you go to the Registry Office giving exact name and her address they will make a search for you. It's quite easy and reasonably cheap. They will give you a death certificate with details of cause of death and who registered it. They do it all the time.

I think the Register Office would need to know the first names(s) of the deceased person. The OP only has her surname - see post #5. As Hopman wrote, the electoral rolls at the Local Studies Library on Surrey Street should give some idea of when she died, and will also have the full name. They are searchable by the address, which the OP evidently has.

Archived