The old grey horse and washford pubs

depoix

does anyone remember them? two popular cliffe pubs at one time, my dad and granddad both drank in them,i last had a drink in the grey horse back in the late 60's,it was full of characters,even had its own skiffle group equipment.

the last time i used the washford it was a chippy,run by mick,the ex landlord of the bulldog pub that was across the road

does anyone remember them? two popular cliffe pubs at one time, my dad and granddad both drank in them,i last had a drink in the grey horse back in the late 60's,it was full of characters,even had its own skiffle group equipment.

the last time i used the washford it was a chippy,run by mick,the ex landlord of the bulldog pub that was across the road

The Washford is now a double-glazing saleshop!!!!:huh:

• 4 weeks later...

As apprentices studying at Salmon Pastures school on Day Release from work we used to buy fish and chips from a shop nearly opposite The Washford.

The landlady used to let us sit in the snug and eat them with a pint.

She always said we were a grand set of lads until the day someone in the plumbing class emptied the chewing gum machine that outside the newsagents shop next door, using lead pennies.

Happy Days!

i remember back in the 1950's my mum took me to see grandad ted at the grey horse, she wouldnt go inside so we waited till some one came along and she asked if they would mind giving him a shout, he came out and picked me up,he gave me a pound, (heck of a lot of cash in those days ) and told me to go to the sweet/paper shop and buy everything, needless to say, by the time i had got to the bottom of the little gennel that ran from the grey horse to the main road i had lost my money...:mad:

Archived