Pond Street / Midland Station Photo

Originally posted by glenbern

We believe this to be closer to 1960 - 1962. The mini was introduced in 1960 and there seems to be only one in the whole picture!

The Mini was actually introduced in 1959. After a quick search I spotted no less than 5 examples in the photo.

I'd say the picture must be later than mid-sixties because there's a Mark IV Ford Zodiac visible right in the centre of the car park and that model was first made in in 1966.

Other clues:

If that's a Daimler Fleetline bus in the centre of the photo, they were introduced in 1962

However, the bus could be the very similar Leyland Atlantean and they were first made in 1958.

Beyond doubt however are the several Vauxhall Vivas in the pic. They were first made in 1963.

I'll get me anorak :)

I have linked to a higher resolution photo now for those of you who want to download it and blow it up for more detail.

Just click on the link in the original posting.

If you want to see other older views of Sheffield follow the link below. These photos are scanned from old Postcards.

Sheffield Photos

Originally posted by Lostrider

I have linked to a higher resolution photo now for those of you who want to download it and blow it up for more detail.

Just click on the link in the original posting.

If you want to see other older views of Sheffield follow the link below. These photos are scanned from old Postcards.

Sheffield Photos

That's so much better.

I can see a Mk1 Ford Capri now. They were introduced in Jan 1969, so it's getting later all the time.

just an idea have you thought of going back to the places where the photos was taken and doing them now to see how much sheffield as changed you could have the then and now look. the one of the walkway up to victoria station as changed a hell of a lot as as the road way where the arches is. so as sheffield midland station I wonder what year that was when the photo was taken ?

Originally posted by bigkev

just an idea have you thought of going back to the places where the photos was taken and doing them now to see how much sheffield as changed you could have the then and now look.

Do you know, If I could prise myself away from this damn internet I could do a lot of things with my life instead of becoming the sad person I appear to be turning into.

At least when I was on pay as you go i set a time limit, since getting broadband i have no control anymore. :help: :help: :help:

But, you wait when the summer comes, I will be off doing all sorts of things. First sign of sun and warm breezes, I'll dig the motorbike out of the back of the garage (order skip first to empty contents of garage into) and go places. :hihi:

I have the same feeling I enjoyed it on pay as you go my set time was do so much then come off it now with broadband I am on the damm internet well in to the early hours of the morning,it cant be good for us do you know I spend that much time looking at my monitor that I dont watch tv now infact I dont do that much in the day because I am too knackered to do anything,and yes come the summer months when it turns warm I will be out with my camera I should be out all year round doing photos but too tired to do anything at the moment.

Originally posted by bigkev

I have the same feeling I enjoyed it on pay as you go my set time was do so much then come off it now with broadband I am on the damm internet well in to the early hours of the morning,it cant be good for us do you know I spend that much time looking at my monitor that I dont watch tv now infact I dont do that much in the day because I am too knackered to do anything,and yes come the summer months when it turns warm I will be out with my camera I should be out all year round doing photos but too tired to do anything at the moment.

Do what ever makes you happy, that's what I say. I can't wait to get back to my normal work pattern, but that seems unlikely, at least until the end of the week. The internet keeps me sane at the moment!

K x

mojoworking - you beat me to it. The Ford Capri Mark 1 did indeed come out in 1969 and my family had one. Hey, that could be our car! (On closer inspection, I can see 2 such cars.)

Would another pointer be Granville College? Does anybody know when that opened?

I'm going for 1969, the very year I sprogged out.

Archived