Pond Street / Midland Station Photo

Originally posted by mojoworking

The Mini was actually introduced in 1959. After a quick search I spotted no less than 5 examples in the photo.

I'd say the picture must be later than mid-sixties because there's a Mark IV Ford Zodiac visible right in the centre of the car park and that model was first made in in 1966.

Other clues:

If that's a Daimler Fleetline bus in the centre of the photo, they were introduced in 1962

However, the bus could be the very similar Leyland Atlantean and they were first made in 1958.

Beyond doubt however are the several Vauxhall Vivas in the pic. They were first made in 1963.

I'll get me anorak :)

Did I spot 2 Capris in there? That would date it 1969 or after. they were launched in Feb '69 http://www.fordcapri.co.uk/

Originally posted by Strix

Did I spot 2 Capris in there? That would date it 1969 or after. they were launched in Feb '69 http://www.fordcapri.co.uk/

I have a feeling that someone is going to produce a list of all the cars visible. :hihi:

No not me.

Its a bit like "I Spy", I spy somethimg beggining with "R"

Reliant Regal?

Is that a Triumph Herald Convertible? or maybe its a Vitesse. Six cylinder 2000cc, now that was a car.

Could be a TR6

hi lostrider, I coul;dn't see a reliant regal or a supervan, but the three wheeler in the middle of the car park is one of those fibre glass, pale blue "invalid chariots" that the ministry used to issue, before the motability scheme came into being.

also, seeing as the picture ahs been improved,with better resolution, has viking been able to confirm that car registration number he mentioned, earlier in this thread...? ;)

P "eyes like a hawk, me...." T

Originally posted by Strix

Well what else would you use to date the pic? Isn't there a developer's date on the back of the paper copy :mad:

The picture is scanned directly from a negative so no clues there.

With the comments so far I would put it at 1970 to 1972. In 1969 my dad wouldnt have let me anywhere near his camera.

By the way I still have this camera, must be getting on for 65 years olds now.

Something I did notice on the picture itself is the British Rail sign on the LMS sation, when did they start using that livery with the cross line logo.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

hi lostrider, I coul;dn't see a reliant regal or a supervan, but the three wheeler in the middle of the car park is one of those fibre glass, pale blue "invalid chariots" that the ministry used to issue, before the motability scheme came into being.

You mean the Invacar,

Invacar

I await others comments on this, looking at tha size of the Moggie thou behind it, it looks too big to me.

And didn't thay have a very large sticky out boot? But you might be right.

I dont think I have ever looked at a photo in such detail before, the more you look, the more you see!

• 2 weeks later...

Early 70's looking at the cars, The one on the extreme right is a Humber Sceptre almost out of shot, could have been me I used to have one about that time. most of the cars in the car park were made in the mid 60's and i am guessing they could be about Ten years old when the photo was took.

• 1 month later...

Archived