Coach & Horses, Dronfield. Excellent!

The_Bear

best pub food in sheffield

... For the record, Dronfield is not in Sheffield. It's not even in Yorkshire - it's in Derbyshire!

As for the pub, I have heard good reports about it but never ben myself, so cannot comment on the quality of the food.

It is listed in Sheffield CAMRA's area, rather than Chesterfield CAMRA's patch. Not exactly sure of the geography, but as it has a Sheffield Post Code it will do for me.

Food is good and all freshly cooked. Not frozen chips or microwave reheats. But get there on time. The chef does like to knock off at his alloted time. So if you turn up at 9.15 you are getting a takeaway on your way home.:thumbsup:

Interestingly I called at the pub tonight and checked all bar prices. The most expensive beer on the bar is Jaipur at £3.00/pint. At 5.9% perhaps not a daft price.

San Miguel is actually £2.80. Not quite the £3.80 reported. No idea why there is such a discrepency, but it does nothing for the trade at a pub when these things are misreported.

You're right. Last time I was in there I also was curious to check out the price of the "local" San Miguel draft lager. It is £2.80 not £3.80 as our friend on here has said. So, I suggest next time he goes there he checks his change because he's paid £2 too much on that round.

And yes, I agree with the bloke who said it's his prerogative to drink what he likes, of course it is. There's no obligation to drink Thornbridge beers just because you are in a Thornbridge pub. In fact, they have a really nice range of drinks in there, some unusual foreign bottled beers, proper cider (not crappy Magners or Bulmers) etc. I suppose for me, I just don't understand why, when faced with such a wonderful choice of drinks, most folks go, "ooh err! what shall I have? oh, let's stick to something I know that looks familiar". Because I'm the complete opposite to that. I love trying new things and I certainly wouldn't be settling on a pint of the familiar faced with the kind of choice you have at the Coach and Horses.

But, I realise that most people do like what is familiar. Which is why absolute garbage that is well-marketed can sell to the mass millions.

It is listed in Sheffield CAMRA's area, rather than Chesterfield CAMRA's patch. Not exactly sure of the geography, but as it has a Sheffield Post Code it will do for me.

Food is good and all freshly cooked. Not frozen chips or microwave reheats. But get there on time. The chef does like to knock off at his alloted time. So if you turn up at 9.15 you are getting a takeaway on your way home.:thumbsup:

If you turn up at 8.31 it's too late. They are ridiculously strict on meal times, that's my only gripe with the place.

For the record, Dronfield is definitely in Derbyshire and the postal address is Dronfield, Sheffield. The same is true of other places in that corner of North East Derbyshire, like Eckington, Ridgeway, Ford, Marsh Lane, Coal Aston, Apperknowle, Troway etc. They are all in Derbyshire but their correct postal address is "Sheffield" and they carry Sheffield post-codes.

And just to make it more confusing, Chesterfield also has a Sheffield post-code (S40).

I think Dronfield and the villages I mention above are actually the last bastions of the kingdom of Sheffield before it yields to the Cestrefeldian kingdom where people speak and act totally different to your average dee-dah.

Where "oreight pal" turns into "elloo duck" and the people are warmer and friendlier, but there's nowt in the shops.

If you turn up at 8.31 it's too late. They are ridiculously strict on meal times, that's my only gripe with the place.

For the record, Dronfield is definitely in Derbyshire and the postal address is Dronfield, Sheffield. The same is true of other places in that corner of North East Derbyshire, like Eckington, Ridgeway, Ford, Marsh Lane, Coal Aston, Apperknowle, Troway etc. They are all in Derbyshire but their correct postal address is "Sheffield" and they carry Sheffield post-codes.

And just to make it more confusing, Chesterfield also has a Sheffield post-code (S40).

I think Dronfield and the villages I mention above are actually the last bastions of the kingdom of Sheffield before it yields to the Cestrefeldian kingdom where people speak and act totally different to your average dee-dah.

Where "oreight pal" turns into "elloo duck" and the people are warmer and friendlier, but there's nowt in the shops.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Wise words!!!!

The geography of the place is open to debate as the border seems to move around at regular intervals. I think it is still in Derbyshire by about 100 yards but could be wrong. All the land round the area was part of the Norton Estate and controlled from Norton Hall and included what is now Graves Park. Whatever; I have never had a problem with foreign food.

Regarding the accents it is rather academic as the landlady is from New Zealand anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...

Coach & Horses, its a great little pub. We called in about two years ago, for a pint and found it most enjoyable (we've been back every week since) , The food was excellent, the real ales went down well and the place was very comfortable. My hubby has turned into a real ale freak (to the extent that we're just back from the Cambridge rock festival (rockinbeerfest), which was spilling out real ales all over the place.

His favourite is jaipur, but Im partial to the fruit beers they serve. Just hope it doesnt get too busy tho, want to keep it for ourselves ;)

Archived