Do Fletchers still make bread ?

It's no longer owned by Fletcher's,though they still make bread and still use the name.

Northern Foods owns it I think.

According to my dad,(who for years ran a family bakery business with my uncle and therefore is still quite knowledgable on the subject of bakeries), they supply all the army bases etc and at one point they exported to Spain,probably still do.

He tells me that you can no longer buy Fletcher's bread locally though as far as he knows.

It's just up the road from Wednesday's ground in the direction of Wadsley Bridge.

Would that have been the location in the '60s?

Also, and this one is difficult to get one's head around, when I was growing up my mother refused to buy Fletcher's bread. She used to tell us that it was owned by "a communist." My mother had her idiosyncracies, let's put it that way. Forgetting about the fact that politics and buying bread have nothing much in common, can anyone shed any light on how she might have got that idea in her head? Who was Mr Fletcher and who ran the place? Maybe there was a militant union leader employed there. I just found it odd at the time and I'm none the wiser now. :confused:

Would that have been the location in the '60s?

Also, and this one is difficult to get one's head around, when I was growing up my mother refused to buy Fletcher's bread. She used to tell us that it was owned by "a communist." My mother had her idiosyncracies, let's put it that way. Forgetting about the fact that politics and buying bread have nothing much in common, can anyone shed any light on how she might have got that idea in her head? Who was Mr Fletcher and who ran the place? Maybe there was a militant union leader employed there. I just found it odd at the time and I'm none the wiser now. :confused:

I'll have to ask my old man but I assume the location is the same,he certainly knew the owners so I'll ask him about the communist rumour too!

Archived