Missed Opportunities

davep

Have you ever looked back and thought "I wish I had gone for it" at the time.

It's March 1970 and I am an up-and-coming part time DJ, but I also have a full time job with Post Office Telecomms (later BT).

My Dad's job used to take him all over, and he was in Holland (Amsterdam I believe) when someone overheard him talking in English one evening and said there are some more English people over there in the hotel lounge and would he like to meet them.

He went over and was introduced to a long-haired scawny looking chap by the name of Roger.

Roger asked him if he was into music. My dad replied that he was not into pop music, but his son was an avid listener, as well as being a bit of a DJ. Roger said they were always on the look-out for talent and if I was willing to take the risk, come out to Holland and join them.

When dad returned home, he told me of the conversation with this chap, and I first thought he was taking the mickey, but since dad knew next-to-nothing about the pop music scene, I realised that he was telling the truth.

Straight choice. Jack in the steady job or risk it all, leave the Country and everyone I knew, for maybe a job with loads of others, risking a fine or worse if I returned to the UK, so I plumped for staying at home.

Roger was Roger "Twiggy" Day. The job was a DJ on board Radio North Sea International, and, although I would have had to go through the usual tests, I think I could have done it and enjoyed it.

Oh what could have been.

Ooh I bet you kicked yourself a bit for that.

I was offered a job in an industry that would have seen me loaded, but just never went for it as I'd have to move to newcastle and to be honest I'm pretty the way things are shaping up here anyway.

Only with women.

I dumped a lot of good girls over the years and ended up spending 20 years with Satan in knickers and I often wonder if I might have had a happier life with one of the girls I treated so badly.

Only with women.

I dumped a lot of good girls over the years and ended up spending 20 years with Satan in knickers and I often wonder if I might have had a happier life with one of the girls I treated so badly.

I've missed out on a couple of nice biker ladies.... too fast for 'em :rolleyes::hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

when i was a school leaver many years ago i had an interview to be a trainee g.p.o. talephonist i got the job but declined ti to go and work at Robert bros dept. store .I have had various shop jobs now and i am still working as a shop assistant never earning a great deal of money How i wished i had gone for that job now and maybee i would have gone on to bigger and better things in communications earning a whole lot more than just above the minimum wage

Archived