Where are you all now? Moorfoot gang.

Hi Pat

I remember Mrs Timbos shop very fondly. Two things I recall was throwing a stink into the shop and had a good hinding from my dad and another time I had to go there for some cheese and before she could served me she had to knock a sleeping cat off the cheese. The Cheethams were a miserable couple, if you went carol singing the night before xmas eve, she would shout out go away, to early, next night we would go again, only for her to shout go away, to late. I remember the Platt family but cannot remember names. The other people you mention, I recognise the names but cannot put a face to them. Other things I recall was the shop on the corner of Michael rd and Clarence st called Mrs Rastricks. At the bottom of Clarence st was some shops, I remember Herbets the newsagents, Mr Twigg the barbers and a small bread shop. The great time we had on the bomb site opposite the shop where we played football and cricket and made bonfires b efore it wsas taken over by Coopers car mart. Please keep more coming.

Roger

HI ROGER JACK HEWITT Here first of all welcome to the Forum as Pat may have mentioned I used to be quite active on the Forum a while back but I now tend to be on Facebook and the Messenger pages more often it's always nice when someone remembers yourself and family members you say you can remember my Mom RIP cleaning at the shop I always thought that she also served there so many days a week I'm afraid that I can't put your face to the name Pat also mentioned that I now live in Solihull W / Midlands I have been down here just over 8yrs now are you still in the Sheffield area you also mentioned a few of the shops at the bottom of Clarence St namely Herberts newsagents , Twiggy barbers I also remember the Doctors surgery on the corner of Clarence St and Bridgefield rd the Lincoln pub on the opposite side of the rd also the Chippy just up from the Docs then there was the second hand shop at the corner of Clarence St and Hurst rd in fact Richard Dennell the youngest of the Dennells has just recently been in touch with me he told me that Michael Dennell passed away at the age of 49 and that Ronnie now lives in Turkey and he never has much contact with him now I once remember a good owd fashioned scrap between Michael and Martin Windall when everyone formed a circle do you remember Jean Hancock who lived on Michael Rd my wife is related to the Hancocks obviously I remember Rastricks corner shop I always remember the smell of cat pee in the place if you send me your E-Mail address I will send a few photos over to you I don't know if you are on Facebook or not but if you are send me a friend request and I will chat more on personal message service I hope to hear from you again soon TAKE CARE JACK.

Hi Jack Yes your mum did work I the shop, she was very friendly with my mum. You say that you cant picture my face but I remember you, if I am correct as a kid you were blonde haired and wore glasses. I am no longer in Sheffield, I live just outside of Swansea and have done so for the last 40 yeas. I remember Martin Windall from Young Street who is still friendly with a old school friend of mine, Barry Vernon who had a bakers shop on Ecclesall Road. My email address is enquiries@goldstarlettings.co.uk. please keep in touch. Roger

Hi Roger,

If I'm not mistaken I think that you are little bit older than me? I was wondering why you wouldn't remember the Smith's who lived in the house next door to the shop which used to be Timbo's. I have searched my memory banks and to be honest I don't think I ever remember you actually living above your shop. In the back of my mind I have a vague idea that you lived in Nether Edge?

You made me laugh about the cat on the cheese. Life was so different then, wasn't it? I was quite little when Mr.Timbo died but I can remember sitting on our settee and crying because I would never see him again. My mum must have tried to explain to me what it actually meant when people "died".

Do you remember Mrs Simmonite who lived next door to the Cheethams? She had a sofa or chaise longue in her lounge which was stuffed with horse hair. It really made your legs itch. I often used to go down and sit and have a chat with her when I was little. I think she was the only adult I knew who used to encourage me to talk. Everyone else was always telling me to shut up. Dad used to say that I must have been vaccinated with a gramophone needle. (I've changed a lot since those days, I hasten to add) Lol.

Can you remember the name of the couple who used to live across the yard from her. She was a very big woman I think. I just can't bring their name to mind but I'm sure I would know it if I heard it.

Life was so different in those days, wasn't it but I do miss all the people who lived on those few streets. It was like a little village of it's own in the middle of a large city. There were some real characters. It could have rivaled Coronation Street for all the interesting stories and intrigues that went on in the lives of all the residents. Your shop could have been Dev's corner shop in C.S. We didn't have a pub though did we? Perhaps as well.

Oh btw Jack I don't remember a chippy just up from the doctors? There was the bakers next door, then there was the builders office, next came Berresford's papershop, then the barbers (Twiggy's) then Dennell's shop on the corner. The nearest chippy was on the corner of Young St and Bishop St. What do you know that I don't?

Pat

Edited by grannypat

Hi I used to live on Hurst rd, my brother was called Mick Dennell. Saddely Mick passed away when he was 49 years old, great loss to family and friends. I remember the bonfires and dens made in them, I also remember st silas school and Richards knife factory. Great days.
Was Mick an upholsterer who worked for P.B.M on Penistone Road?

Was Mick an upholsterer who worked for P.B.M on Penistone Road?

Hi yes mick was an Upholsterer upto the day he died.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:05 ----------

HI ROGER JACK HEWITT Here first of all welcome to the Forum as Pat may have mentioned I used to be quite active on the Forum a while back but I now tend to be on Facebook and the Messenger pages more often it's always nice when someone remembers yourself and family members you say you can remember my Mom RIP cleaning at the shop I always thought that she also served there so many days a week I'm afraid that I can't put your face to the name Pat also mentioned that I now live in Solihull W / Midlands I have been down here just over 8yrs now are you still in the Sheffield area you also mentioned a few of the shops at the bottom of Clarence St namely Herberts newsagents , Twiggy barbers I also remember the Doctors surgery on the corner of Clarence St and Bridgefield rd the Lincoln pub on the opposite side of the rd also the Chippy just up from the Docs then there was the second hand shop at the corner of Clarence St and Hurst rd in fact Richard Dennell the youngest of the Dennells has just recently been in touch with me he told me that Michael Dennell passed away at the age of 49 and that Ronnie now lives in Turkey and he never has much contact with him now I once remember a good owd fashioned scrap between Michael and Martin Windall when everyone formed a circle do you remember Jean Hancock who lived on Michael Rd my wife is related to the Hancocks obviously I remember Rastricks corner shop I always remember the smell of cat pee in the place if you send me your E-Mail address I will send a few photos over to you I don't know if you are on Facebook or not but if you are send me a friend request and I will chat more on personal message service I hope to hear from you again soon TAKE CARE JACK.

I remember that scrap, I think it was Ronnie Dennell and not Mick Dennell and I think it lasted some time. I remember crying thinking my brother was going to die. Funny how thing stick in your mind.

Hi yes mick was an Upholsterer upto the day he died.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:05 ----------

I remember that scrap, I think it was Ronnie Dennell and not Mick Dennell and I think it lasted some time. I remember crying thinking my brother was going to die. Funny how thing stick in your mind.

Same Mick Dennell my brother and Alan Samson worked with,I got the job of breaking it to my brother when Mick died.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat

I think I must be older than you, born in 1944. Left living above the shop in1946 and moved to Richmond and moved again in 1953 to Ecclesall. \Only to well do I remember Mrs Simmonite, same as you I used to spend hours sitting in house, especially on Friday nights when my parents were working late. Both her daughters Ivy and Irene worked inn the shop when I was very young. Later as a teenager we used to wait outside The Star cinema to see a A film for somebody to accompany us in and it was usually Mrs Simmonite that came to the rescue The chippy on Young Street I remember, the owners were always in the shop with or without the monkey. Depending what money we had chips and a fishcake or just two pennyworth of sraps.

What else have you to jog

memory, let me know Roge

Hi Roger,

Yes, I was right then about you being a bit older. I was born in January 1947. Your talking about chip shops reminded me of the one just down from The Star cinema on Ecclesall Road. Ward's it was called I think. If we went to see a film and called in there for a bag of chips to eat on the way home it was always the same ritual. He would shovel some chips into the little bag, then he would take a few out and then put a few back before handing them over. It always amazed us and we swore he must be counting the chips as we always finished them at exactly the same time.

Do you remember Peter Bailey? He lived with his mum and dad on Hurst Road, the next yard on from us and the first house in that yard which meant that they lived next door but one to us. His mum's name was Ethel I recall. Peter used to take me to school every morning (St. Silas's at the top of Young Street) and then wait and bring me home in the evening. He didn't really show it but he must have hated that job.

Pat

Hi Pat

nice to hear from you again. I remember chippy walls on ecclesall rd, he used to use coal or coke to heat the pans. My father, when he worked late on a Friday night would phone the chippy to pick up our supper on the way home. Peter Bailey, the name is familiar but I cannot place the face.

Did you ever go on our trips to Blackpool they were organised by Jackie Hewitts mother and everyone met outside the shop to get on board

Roger