Old Pub below the Mucky Duck - What was it called?

yes you are right there use to be a pub under the black swan called the merry england bar I know of it very well as I worked there in the early 70's and always on a friday and saturday night, it was there long before the complete angler as that is what they called the pub when it had its name changed after a refurbishment. biggest mistake they made when the changed everything in the merry england bar and called it the complete angler more like the complete mess. I stopped going in there when it had been refurbished. so give that man a ceegar for getting it right

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi carlwarker,it was indeed called MERRY ENGLAND.My mates and i were regular visitors there in the early 70s .Almost every Friday and Saturdays we would go.There would be a big gang of us and we would occupy almost all of the tables along the far wall(opposite side to wherethe bar was).I can honestly say that was the best time of my life.

• 1 month later...
I thought it was the nickname of the black swan that they resurected and called the pub after it was the complete angler

I used to go in the Merry England in the early 70's, was the DJ called Lawrence ?, He played good soul music and there was a great atmosphere although there was a fight just about every friday night. Years later I saw Kilburn and the High Roads and The Sex Pistols there!

• 2 months later...
It was called the Brewery Tap in the early 80s, and ran by a couple of gay guys called Len and Paul, we used to start our pub crawls off from there, then work our way through town to the Wap n Take, then into the night clubs to finish ourselves off.

My mate paul used to be dj thurs fri n sat nites,used to be there every week.there woz a landlord called alan ran it after,thought he woz hard.ended up wi a chair over his head from one of bbc!

• 1 month later...