Old Pub below the Mucky Duck - What was it called?

Throwing my threepeneth in, i seem to recall that the bars under the mucky duck were Merry England next to the hairdressers and lower down the hill, next to it was the entrance to the Brewery Tap. Although part of the same building they had different doors.

• 4 years later...
Does anyone remember the name of the pub that was just below the 'Mucky Duck' on Snig Hill and just above the American shop which was the only place you could get jeans at one time?

It was still there in the early 60's and I had my batch party there in 1959.

This is a long shot...... it was a long time ago......!! Was the Pub named..'THE MOSELEY ARMS' ?????.... Cheers.. DJ.

Does anyone remember the name of the pub that was just below the 'Mucky Duck' on Snig Hill and just above the American shop which was the only place you could get jeans at one time?

It was still there in the early 60's and I had my batch party there in 1959.

black swan was the mucky duck

I believe its name was changed to The Mucky Duck, remember the fibre glass statue outside it was made by Frank Fearn, an old pal,developed this department for MONKS, and died through it.

Does any one know what happened to the swan statue? btw. The name you are all looking for is "The merry old complete England brewery Angler" :)

Edited by pitsmoorboy

I think I would be correct in saying that The Black Swan was the venue for The Clash's first ever gig. In the eighties I worked as the cellarman in a real ale pub in London. Chatting to the Sam Smith's rep one day he said I should be familiar with their product since I came from 'Up North'. I had to point out to him that the only pub in Sheffield that I knew that sold Sam Smiths was the 'Mucky Duck'. Which was the reason why Sheffield folk thought that it was such a cr*p beer!

I think I would be correct in saying that The Black Swan was the venue for The Clash's first ever gig. In the eighties I worked as the cellarman in a real ale pub in London. Chatting to the Sam Smith's rep one day he said I should be familiar with their product since I came from 'Up North'. I had to point out to him that the only pub in Sheffield that I knew that sold Sam Smiths was the 'Mucky Duck'. Which was the reason why Sheffield folk thought that it was such a cr*p beer!

The Midhill WMC. on East Bank Road also sold Sams Smiths.but as i remember the Mucky Duck when Lol run it [it was a lock up] was well known for its good ale.