Old Pub below the Mucky Duck - What was it called?

The Midhill WMC. on East Bank Road also sold Sams Smiths.but as i remember the Mucky Duck when Lol run it [it was a lock up] was well known for its good ale.

Apologies for bad mouthing anybody who looked after their cellar, but I certainly never enjoyed a good pint there. Maybe it was just Sam Smiths ales which, I must admit, I always found rather bland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What the hell is wrong with all you young posters The BLACK SWAN (MUCKY DUCK) is written in Sheffield folk lore it was run by one of the finest landlords Sheffield has ever seen TERRY STEEPLES (RIP) Terry was responsible for bringing some of the country's most famous artists to the DUCK not only Sheffield's own JOE COCKER but STATUS QUO and far to many more to mention including top comedians of the day to put everyone out of their misery the bar under the Duck was called the SPORTSMANS BAR this bar was down a flight of stairs on the right as you went through the main revolving doors at the front entrance this was a small lounge bar the bar most people are referring to was indeed the MERRY ENGLAND which was further down Snig hill and was indeed a snooker hall and games room before being turned into the Merry England bar and night club this was also below ground level and the windows were at pavement level back to the main part once through the revolving doors you entered a large lounge the bar being on the left then forward through the doors to the concert room a large room with the stage at the bottom this great drinking den had the most varied entertainment in any pub in Sheffield only the workingmen's clubs could compare with variety now for the worst part SAM SMITHS when this was off NO other ale could compare with such a vile taste not even WARDS or TETLEYS but that didn't stop Terry selling the most amount of beer in ANY drinking establishment in Sheffield that also includes all the clubs i was once informed that he was close to selling 40 barrels a week and we are NOT talking firkins here for any one in the know that is a lot of ale i hope this will help in the knowledge of probably the most famous pub Sheffield has ever had.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone remember the name of the pub that was just below the 'Mucky Duck' on Snig Hill and just above the American shop which was the only place you could get jeans at one time?

It was still there in the early 60's and I had my batch party there in 1959.

Its the Black Swan and more recently Boardwalk now

yes i remember the pub or maybe bar but cant for the like of me remember its nane i loved the black swan saw some great act there in the sixties that the land lord terrt steeples brought there and one amongst many the great Joe Cocke, and boby knutt

sam smiths was also sold at the red grouse at stocksbridge.

hiya i remember an hairdressers under the black swan i think it was called alfredo's and just below i thought was a basement bar of the blackswan